HE-569 pre/eq 500 series

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TwentyTrees said:
Yeah, I hear you! Eight Type 69s in a Cranborne 500R8 would make a pretty great studio centrepiece and portable tracking rig...

I've seen cranborne's stuff, is really great!!

I love using my UAD emulation of these, so am excited to get some real ones when it is all worked out!

My go to on electric guitar is one of these, a beyer m69, little cut on the bass, boost at 2.8k and a little top

pahstah said:
that's for sure!
but my secret dream is to build an helios mixer... maybe someday

That secret was mine to, but to build API mixer, and I did it ,it was very very hard to do, but it is woth it....4 years from start till now!

I have a few stuff to do to totally finish him....but the hardest part is done...

iprovlek said:
That secret was mine to, but to build API mixer, and I did it ,it was very very hard to do, but it is woth it....4 years from start till now!

Very cool! Is there anywhere on GDIY we can see it?

I would really love to do something like this too, taking the best bits from the various classic desks. 

P. S.  Sorry for going slightly off topic Paulo.

I'm finding it a long and difficult road trying to build a console. That is not to say that I'm not happy I started down this path. I'm taking it really slowly and rethinking (and rethinking) everything I do, and I'm still sure I haven't got it anywhere near right. I started with grand plans of 16 channels all with eq, transformers on all inputs and outputs, multiple buses. I think I'll settle with 6 channels of eq, another 6 with just filters and 4 channels of returns. The top module on the right is a line module with a pad switch on the input and a filter, next down is a mic/line with filter, next down is a stereo return module with a meter select switch and the bottom three are mic pres. The modules on the right are routers and there are some buses in the front. I have to keep trying to save pennies to build a bit more. Nearly time to put the sum buses and main output amplifiers together. I just need to get some more enclosures, transformers and connectors. It is going to look pretty rough and ready when finished (and way oversized) but hopefully it works.

Attachments

• modules.jpg
    modules.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 72
Squeaky said:
I'm finding it a long and difficult road trying to build a console. That is not to say that I'm not happy I started down this path. I'm taking it really slowly and rethinking (and rethinking) everything I do, and I'm still sure I haven't got it anywhere near right. I started with grand plans of 16 channels all with eq, transformers on all inputs and outputs, multiple buses. I think I'll settle with 6 channels of eq, another 6 with just filters and 4 channels of returns. The top module on the right is a line module with a pad switch on the input and a filter, next down is a mic/line with filter, next down is a stereo return module with a meter select switch and the bottom three are mic pres. The modules on the right are routers and there are some buses in the front. I have to keep trying to save pennies to build a bit more. Nearly time to put the sum buses and main output amplifiers together. I just need to get some more enclosures, transformers and connectors. It is going to look pretty rough and ready when finished (and way oversized) but hopefully it works.

Awesome. To date I have built 9 Helios type eq's using various gain stages i.e. DOA, tube, and 2128. They all were used all the time and i have only 2 left.
I also  built a 9 channel Neve-ish mixer (one stereo, 8 mono) using APP992 DOA's for each channel and Neve cloned 1272 line amps for summing with Carnhill input and EA1106 output transformers. Without Ian's guiding hand none of that would have been realised. Mixers are hard. So much to go wrong and routing feels like way more work than I ever expected. I'm halfway through my second "Neve-ish" mixer and troubleshooting seems endless.
Paolo. I can't wait.

Thanks Rocinante. I know what you are saying about the router. The circuit mapping (connectivity), grounding, impedance matching, and function selection and implementation of the router has taken me years to work through. I only just feel like I'm ready for the signal(s) to hit the bus now. It is the monitoring section that is now doing my head in.

I saw your to and fro with Ian a while ago when you were going through your design phase for your Neve-type design, and I read along with interest.

IMG-0937-3.jpg

Pahstah this looks great.
Okay disclaimer; at one point in some conversation between Ian and myself I made the claim that the 22113 was the summing amp for  the Helios mixer and I was wrong.
Looking back at an email between myself and a helios owner at no time does he mention the 22113 as the Helios summing amp. Aux modules he does mention as well as to effects sends and talk back but it's never mentioned as a summing amp and I was wrong. I tried to find the thread that we talked about this but I just couldn't. That said; it has worked really well in my mic preamp/eq modules. I can't wait to try yours out.

Looks really well done Pahstah, well done.

Rocinante - I think that the 22113 amps might have been used as stereo line output drivers for main outputs? You have probably seen the online images of stereo versions of the 22113. I am going to try and utilise the 2128 as a sum bus amp.

Rocinante said:
Pahstah this looks great.
Okay disclaimer; at one point in some conversation between Ian and myself I made the claim that the 22113 was the summing amp for  the Helios mixer and I was wrong.
Looking back at an email between myself and a helios owner at no time does he mention the 22113 as the Helios summing amp. Aux modules he does mention as well as to effects sends and talk back but it's never mentioned as a summing amp and I was wrong. I tried to find the thread that we talked about this but I just couldn't. That said; it has worked really well in my mic preamp/eq modules. I can't wait to try yours out.

thank you Rocinante,
I agree with you, 22113 was used as a line amp to drive buses, auxes, echo sends etc..

Latest posts

Back