desolder pump vs desoldering Pump which is best?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="versuviusx"]which is best to use desolder pump or desolder wick?[/quote]

I use both... The pump (or "solder-sucker", as they call them) gets the big globs off, and the wick gets whatever is left.

[quote author="versuviusx"]also what is with the idea of getting a low static desoldering pump?[/quote]

To avoid damaging electrostatic-sensitive components like FETs and CMOS chips and such...

Peace,
Al.

I started out with just a pump, but I almost always just use the wick now. Works on big blobs too, it just uses up the wick faster. If you just want to stick with one method, I prefer the wick. I find it very tough to get all the solder and actually break a bond with just the pump. E.g, it would be almost impossible for me to desolder an 8-pin IC with a pump.

-Chris

This might sound silly, but I've never had any luck with solder wick. How do you use it exactly?

I started out with a pump first too, but they aren't the best. Like Al said, pump for the big globs, wick for the small stuff. Wick is great at getting solder out of plated-through holes when you need to replace a component. I've been replacing blown FETs on cards at work, and theres no way I'd be able to get a new part in the holes without using wick first.

I think you're supposd to put your wick inside that pump :green:

seriously, when you're using wick, get some liquid rosin flux! dip the wick in the flux, and it'll suck solder like noone's business

Latest posts

Back