don't show this to audiophiles, they may want to start using this for speakers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> up on a crane or up in a lift with bucket.

*Cable* is rarely run overhead (for that you run three open conductors). Note the last line: do not backfill for 24 hours, meaning fill the ditch in the ground. This cable might also be run inside a factory, though not far (20KV inside is dangerous).

Splices this tedious would normally be done on the ground, or truck tailgate, then moved into place.

If you try this for Hi-Fi, spread a tarp so the resin over-fill (you must have over-fill to be sure all air is forced out) does not stain your fine carpet.

Low voltage FAT copper can be spliced without all that tape. A 0000 crimp swallows a half-inch (0.460", 11mm) conductor and 4" of large heat-shrink tube will cover it. Ten bucks and done. (You should use a $600 crimper.)

user 37518 said:
Thick cables are so 20th century, at diyaudio.com there's a ukranian guy who swears that wrapping your cables with VHS tape somehow messes with the skin effect and makes everything sound so much better.
Sounds like the Ukrainian guy figured out a way to make a buck on his old worthless VHS tapes.  ;)

If you try this for Hi-Fi, spread a tarp so the resin over-fill (you must have over-fill to be sure all air is forced out) does not stain your fine carpet.
haha  ;D

I was in that area of youtube myself about a year ago Pucho, and was equally mesmerized  by much of the same thing, only the cable was god-only-knows how many kV, and was about the thickness of a unused roll of paper towels! They had to slice off the burnt/blown section with a hydraulic cutter.  Guy was in a ditch and bent over the whole time.  Can't imagine doing that all day. Not even for a week.

Edit:  Found one very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mab6GTHUbd8

Gene Pink said:
Sounds like the Ukrainian guy figured out a way to make a buck on his old worthless VHS tapes.  ;)

That's exactly what sprung into my mind when I read it... :D

And with placebo's working for 50% of the population, probably a market worth exploring.

Knowing myself I would most likely forget to add the copper screen sleeve and realise later...

pucho812 said:
I know.  Kind of like making a mic cable and forgetting the neutrik  bushing until after you soldered the 3 pin xlr’s

;D and I thought I'm the only idiot who does that... Multiple times

Back