Fonts and names

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Saw a Fairchild 666 compressor for sale. The asking price was around 52k.  I am guessing because it says Fairchild, the seller thinks they can get 670 kind of money or 660 kind of money.  I thought about making a few 1176 units and marking them Fairchild just to see as an experiment what they could go for.
Does anyone know what font Fairchild or telefunken would have used?

Are you serious? I'm not familiar with Fairchild anything but if you take an 1176 and put Fairchild logos on it, don't you think that would be a misrepresentation?

squarewave said:
Are you serious? I'm not familiar with Fairchild anything but if you take an 1176 and put Fairchild logos on it, don't you think that would be a misrepresentation?
Misrepresentation has been going on so long the classic warning "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) was written in latin.

I hope he is kidding, but another old saying "nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public", ("a fool and his money is soon parted" etc.).

JR

PS: I have long been unenthusiastic about the pervasive cloning these days....

Of course I am kidding I would call it a telefunken Fairchild or tf1176.  ;D it does beg to question how much people will spend just because a name is attached. For the curious here is what sparked this

https://reverb.com/item/17941856-rare-and-famous-fairchild-666-vintage-compressor-abbey-road-michael-brauer-660-670

The 666 comp is nice, but it is not 52k nice. I would put it on par with say a vintage unit like an la2a 4-5k max price.  I suspect that having Fairchild on it causes folks to want to command a high dollar even though it’s far from a 660/670 in terms of everything.
So the experiment and because everyone seems to make a unit these days, the Fairchild 1176😂.
To really hit home we can call it farechild😂

I know a few people that have them. They sound good but I think they were purchased more for the name and number of the beast. Ten years a go when 670's reached the pricing peak the 666's were going for not very much money.  Looked good in a rack. That price is totally out of bounds.

I am certain, you‘d become rich, pucho !

I know a lot of people who only buy gear because of the look. Sound seems to become secondary. No idea why.

It is a known truthism (97% of audio producers agree) that gear sounds better if it looks good. Scientifically proven in double blind testing. Reminds me of the machine that goes "bing".

Squeaky said:
It is a known truthism (97% of audio producers agree) that gear sounds better if it looks good. Scientifically proven in double blind testing. Reminds me of the machine that goes "bing".
I expect true double blind testing to be immune from expectation bias, but it can be amusing afterwards...

Last century a recording magazine did blind testing of popular studio monitors in the Bay area. Several studio professionals (cough) withdrew from the test, after learning that they had selected Peavey (AMR) studio monitors as being better sounding than the regular suspects.  :eek: :eek:

In product design, look and feel matters a bunch... (and brand management).  8)

JR 

Latest posts

Back