slightly less painful disposable product

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
I was disappointed that I could not easily source a replacement o-ring for my cheap plastic insecticide sprayer. No pressure, no spray.. :eek:

On the WWW there were replacement gasket sets costing up to $20 for a sprayer that cost less than $7 new. O-rings for as low as $1.50 ea if you buy 10 at a time and then add shipping.  :eek:

I finally broke down and bought another new sprayer (2 year warranty). After assembling it I noticed a new (to me) feature. The new one, looks pretty much identical to the old one with one difference. The new one has a pressure release valve. The old unit required unscrewing the pump body to relieve pressure after each use, or for refilling. Unscrewing while under pressure could cause the o-ring to bind up, and perhaps fail sooner. 

Or not, but that is my optimistic hope.

JR

Lidl and Aldi do O ring kits here  the odd time , I've bought up a few different mixed boxes ,usually a couple of euros each , they've come in handy so many times . I once fixed my mowers carb with an O ring from the Lidl selection box , it wasnt the exact size of course ,it was slightly smaller and fatter ,but its still holding now two seasons later sealing the main jet in the carb housing . Hozelock fittings that leak are easily put right too . Always worth having on the shelf

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4
JohnRoberts said:
The new one, looks pretty much identical to the old one with one difference. The new one has a pressure release valve.

I like that feature..... /actually makes a lot of sense and makes it easier to unscrew now that I think about it/////... Main thing I like is because the little waft of whatever //bleach or chemical// that is in there under pressure doesn't try to hit my face when going to refill....

Hope you're safe from all the weather there JR!!

scott2000 said:
Hope you're safe from all the weather there JR!!
Don't make me nervous, do you know something I don't about the forecast...  :eek:

I just checked and only thing of note is 96' highs forecast for sunday... a little warm for May.

JR

PS: I live a few hundred yards from the railroad tracks, so during tornado watches I have to hope that all the LF rumbling I hear is coming from trains.

scott2000 said:
oops....I was thinking MO
yup, the midwest is getting slammed with weather, mostly flooding around major rivers. Tornados make spectacular visuals but only affect a tiny fraction of the numbers of people that major weather events do... that said you do not want to be among the unlucky few. 
Well, stay hydrated.... 8)
I plan to stay indoors and see how well my new 2 ton heat pump keeps me cool. Just looked at my electric bill and energy usage down -11% to -15% from one year ago, while house is cooler inside.  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Just looked at my electric bill and energy usage down -11% to -15% from one year ago, while house is cooler inside.  8)

JR

When did you put your metal roof on? Does it help at all??

I know one thing that helped my bill was putting filters in the returns in the house as opposed to right at the handler...... My neighbor was telling me that the main reason they are right at the handler is so consumers can get to them easier but, it creates  problems with air flow when so close if they aren't kept up and even then it's not as good as a lot of space between.... It was a pretty significant drop in monthly cost .......

That and using filters he recommended.....He said something regarding those accordion filters being really bad unless they are the ones that are really tight.....the larger spaced ones are bad(like the companies pawning them off should be sued bad)  but I can't remember why....I've been meaning to follow up on his thoughts.......Anyhow, he turned me on to some really cheap non-accordion type ones I get in a large case...... I just change them every few months....even though they don't  look dirty..... ???

scott2000 said:
When did you put your metal roof on? Does it help at all??
The light colored metal roof was installed mid summer, so that will help comparisons too but later this year.
I know one thing that helped my bill was putting filters in the returns in the house as opposed to right at the handler...... My neighbor was telling me that the main reason they are right at the handler is so consumers can get to them easier but, it creates  problems with air flow when so close if they aren't kept up and even then it's not as good as a lot of space between.... It was a pretty significant drop in monthly cost .......
My system is a split-ductless. All filters are inside.

I run serious stand alone air cleaners/filters in my main room and my bedroom.  About once every month or two, I vacuum dust off the outer filter wrap.  My vacuum cleaner uses sub micron bag so that dust is captured by the filters then discarded in my vacuum cleaner bag. 

I had a serious black mold problem years ago that I have managed with cleaning, and dehumidifiers. When mold is dying from lack of moisture it releases spores, lots of spores, so hopefully my air filters captured most of those spores over the last several years.
That and using filters he recommended.....He said something regarding those accordion filters being really bad unless they are the ones that are really tight.....the larger spaced ones are bad(like the companies pawning them off should be sued bad)  but I can't remember why....I've been meaning to follow up on his thoughts.......Anyhow, he turned me on to some really cheap non-accordion type ones I get in a large case...... I just change them every few months....even though they don't  look dirty..... ???
I try to keep my filters clean... I also have to clean/vacuum my de- humidifier filters that clog up regularly.  The dust I vacuum out of all my air filters are light gray/beige so hopefully not all mold, but surely some spores in there.

I just checked the heat pump owners manual and they say to vacuum the air filter every 2 weeks... (oops  ::)  I know what I'm doing this weekend. )  They also say to replace the filter annually.

JR

Latest posts

Back