The absurd question of the day.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37518

Why did the forum stop being prodigy-pro and became groupdiy? I kinda liked the prodigy-pro name better. ::)

Prodigy-Pro was a recording equipment shop. In the rise of on-line sales it lost ground against the Mega-Marketers like MusiciansFiend, BanjoWorld, etc. The shop and the server closed. The chat-room in the corner, Ethan moved to another server, and of course had to find a new name/URL (Prodigy-Pro just might want to use it again).

Long before that "we" were a section on recording dot org. That place's owner changed some policy, there was a kerfluffle by some TechTalk members, some mass-downloads which crushed the server, and stupid bad feelings all around. That's when Ethan worked with Prodigy-Pro to host a forum.

I remember the original site informally as "RO," and the kerfluffle, and some of the things that led up to it.  I was wondering who was doing the mass download (it was of the "tech talk" posts), 'cause I lost a rather longish post I wrote on patents that I wanted to read over again, and wonder if I could get it back. It's not really important, but still...

PRR said:
Prodigy-Pro was a recording equipment shop. In the rise of on-line sales it lost ground against the Mega-Marketers like MusiciansFiend, BanjoWorld, etc. The shop and the server closed. The chat-room in the corner, Ethan moved to another server, and of course had to find a new name/URL (Prodigy-Pro just might want to use it again).

Long before that "we" were a section on recording dot org. That place's owner changed some policy, there was a kerfluffle by some TechTalk members, some mass-downloads which crushed the server, and stupid bad feelings all around. That's when Ethan worked with Prodigy-Pro to host a forum.

A big thanks to Ethan is in order....

user 37518 said:
A big thanks to Ethan is in order....
Scroll down and hit
btn_donate_SM.gif

benb said:
I remember the original site informally as "RO," and the kerfluffle, and some of the things that led up to it.  I was wondering who was doing the mass download (it was of the "tech talk" posts), 'cause I lost a rather longish post I wrote on patents that I wanted to read over again, and wonder if I could get it back. It's not really important, but still...

TechTalk was the name of the subforum at recording.org?

benb said:

What was the kerfluffle about?

benb said:

maybe waybackmachine has something?? Kinda hit or miss with that but I've been lucky a few times........

user 37518 said:
What was the kerfluffle about?
As best I remember, it (well, this was the previous thing leading up) was about someone posting (at least one) schematic of commercial equipment to 'our' subforum, and one of the principals of that particular equipment manufacturer was on the site and participating in other subforums. The owner of RO posted a 'please don't do that' post, and so relationships were strained from that point on, which I don't think was very long at all, maybe just a day or two.

The straw that broke the camel's back was someone downloading all the TechTalk Group DIY threads, apparently at "full Internet speed," which put a high load on the RO server. The owner saw it happening, got pissed, removed the TechTalk Group DIY forum, and posted a nastygram about it.

Of course this was a long time ago, I don't remember everything I might have known back then, and even now I'm not naming any names that I do remember. Yes, I'm being intentionally vague, because I'm not even sure that what I wrote above is correct.

Reading the latest posts here, there may have been both Tech Talk and Group DIY subforums at RO, and it would have been the Group DIY forum that was the 'problem child.' See what I mean about it being a long time ago. Above slightly edited to reflect this.

Back