boat studio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

thinking of getting a used boat... set up a small recording gig.. and rent it out to song  writers etc,
in middle of ocean, facing LA lights pretty inspirational to me...
any comments!

ps: thinking of  50' sailing boat or similar size twin engine fishing boat... doing my homework re types :)

Make sure you get out into international waters ,then you can claim 'tax exile' status on everything .
How long do you plan on spending on sail training/seaworthying  your potential clients before 'Le voyage' ?

A  friend of my grandfather set out from Ireland I believe in the 50's , a bandleader , his family and musicians as crew  ,they toured the UK from port to port for a while , and I think sailed all the way  to the Carribean  Aus and  Kiwi after ,

I dont know ,just go to the doldrums and do re-takes for weeks on end until the wind picks up or mental illness causes complete malfunction  ;D .....joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCB_LQOhqvw

thats got that floaty boaty LA offshore sound I think your looking for Kambs .

David Gilmour has a house boat studio. I would think some of the issues would be getting good clean electricity. Also wonder how the ocean would affect the long term reliability of the equipment.

Salt air plays havoc with copper ,a kind of whisker grows ,cathodic deposition sacficicial anode , boats usually have a special anode below the waterline made of zinc to prevent the brass prop from becoming eroded .

I was also thinking of moisture and corrosion. You should probably have a dehumidifier running all the time, except maybe when actually tracking when the noise would interfere. Or have it hidden away acoustically, but still be able to get the moisture out of the air.

i have been living in marina for past 6+ years, and water is about 40 feet away from my balcony!
definitely more corrosion on metal, i keep some equipment (mostly mechanical) WD40ed and wipe clean etc... expensive mechanical parts in plastic bags, with wd40 etc...

but no electronic parts had any problem so far! all studio equipment just fine, except some screws!

john12ax7 said:
David Gilmour has a house boat studio. I would think some of the issues would be getting good clean electricity. Also wonder how the ocean would affect the long term reliability of the equipment.

It on the Thames river. I don’t think it sails so they get shore power. At one point all their gear was on spikes. Then they switched to some  special wire made by a company called mit cable and then all the spikes were removed.

This seems like a good idea considering the deluge of water here.
My ‘studio’ is surrounded by water. Presently moving gear above deck as we are taking on some water!

I did some install work in a studio on a canal boat years ago. That project didn't last long. The idea was to move the boat to where it was needed and that didn't work very well, commercially. After less than ten years, it was turned into a party boat and that worked for over 20 years, until our govt started being difficult. Safety & health regulations and stuff like that.

The studio had some problems because the generator wasn't very good, which resulted in damaged gear sometimes. Using shore power also wasn't always ideal.

50'  boat(sailing or fishing)  doesnt have much space or ceiling space..
boat houses are actually better idea for studio, especially ones with two levels,
but they are pretty stationary things! not keen on them!
i wanna do some fishing/swimming in the ocean too :)

one omni, couple of cardioid, one sm57/U87 vocal mic kind a recording sessions i am after!
2-4 people!
decent laptop / more than decent USB audio interface, may be couple of outboard gear,
quested S6 monitors, i am good to go :)

boji said:
Depending on how much you want (or already know) about boats, the "Acorn to Arabella" series on YT is a cool vlog on shipbuilding/maintenance.

saw them while back, cool project!

DarthFader said:
boat studio? Blue Seas!

there is a store in strip mall here, they sell all sort of marine stuff...
i have a friend with 70' yacht here, on next finger from me.... freaking amazing boat/yacht!
they have all sort of hi tech installments, whole boat is re wired etc....
but his father is a Cosmetic Surgeon :)))

Latest posts

Back