• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD - Unbranded Tube Compressor/De-Esser from the 50's/60's in Gunmetal Grey

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GasJunkie_Jabz

50’s/60’s Unbranded Tube Compressor- Full of tubes and Triad iron. Bakelite knobs for all controls. See attached pic

Cash Preferred, but open to trades. Looking for 500 series compressors,  1176, a pair of L10468 or similar, dual mono tube di...What do you Have?

Check out the video:
https://youtu.be/wXbwslniWic

Overall it can be a thick and airy pump without being in your face. It's definitely got character, and thats before servicing it. I think with the right love from a good tech, this can have potential to be a single ended powerhouse.

Controls of the unit are as follows:
Timing
Bal
Fast
Slow

Mode:
Comp OFF
Bal - 60 Hz hum in this mode
Comp ON
De-Ess # 1
De-Ess #2

Parameters:
Slope
Threshold
Meter - 9 modes, VU works on mode V1 V2
Gain
Balance

Transformers:
HS-4 input
HS-29 interchange
HS-31 interchange
HSM-80 output

Power :
Chicago Standard PC8404

Tubes:
6v6gt
6j5g
6sn7
2x 6k7
6eb5

Needs service for tuning and check up. Signal passes thru but the compressor circuit needs work. Possible tube replacement - 1000 as is

Request for pics : growzliketree@hotmail

Amount is USD shipping not included

Accepts Venmo & Paypal

Thanks for reading! ;D

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
Lowered to 1k obo

GasJunkie_Jabz said:
50’s/60’s Unbranded Tube Compressor- Full of tubes and Triad iron. Bakelite knobs for all controls. See attached pic

Cash Preferred, but open to trades. Looking for 500 series compressors,  1176, a pair of L10468 or similar, dual mono tube di...What do you have?

Timing:
Bal
Fast
Slow

Mode:
Comp OFF
Comp ON
De-Ess # 1
De-Ess #2

Parameters:
Slope
Threshold
Gain
Balance

Transformers:
HS-4 input
HS-29 interchange
HS-31 interchange
HSM-80 output

Power :
Chicago Standard PC8404

Tubes:
6v6gt
6j5g
6sn7
2x 6k7
6eb5

Needs service for tuning and check up. Signal passes thru but the compressor circuit needs work. Possible tube replacement - 1000 as is

Accepts Venmo & Paypal

Thanks for reading! ;D

Attachments

• B1AC0302-1C68-40D7-BDCC-EB7653ECB6C4.jpeg
    B1AC0302-1C68-40D7-BDCC-EB7653ECB6C4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Yup that's me!

I am in Hayward, CA. which is also part of the tri-city area.

Thanks

scott2000 said:
gasjunkie1976----Ebay

Fremont, CA

at least it was  mentioned  in some other posts :)

Unfortunately, I don't know the history of it. I purchased it from a guy in Santa Rosa, CA. We met in person.

rackmonkey said:
Gasjunkie, what else do you know about the history of this thing?

Bump and Added a video!

GasJunkie_Jabz said:

Cash Preferred, but open to trades. Looking for 500 series compressors,  1176, a pair of L10468 or similar, dual mono tube di...What do you have?

After further usage on my Fender J-Bass, I can tell you that the compressor/De-esser characteristics start to pick up in Fast/Slow Mode when attenuating the Gain Reduction and Slope while fixing the Threshold to the 7 o'clock position . There's a fuzz that will really start to add the character which is pretty unique to this piece, definitely from the transformers. When you sweep the Slope knob, things get interesting depending on which mode you're in. I was finding some really good sweet spots with my J Bass. 

Check out the video:
https://youtu.be/wXbwslniWic

Overall it can be a thick and airy pump without being in your face. It's definitely got character, and thats before servicing it. I think with the right love from a good tech, this can have potential to be a single ended powerhouse.

Timing
Bal
Fast
Slow

Mode:
Comp OFF
Comp ON
De-Ess # 1
De-Ess #2

Parameters:
Slope
Threshold
Gain
Balance

Transformers:
HS-4 input
HS-29 interchange
HS-31 interchange
HSM-80 output

Power :
Chicago Standard PC8404

Tubes:
6v6gt
6j5g
6sn7
2x 6k7
6eb5

Accepts Venmo & Paypal

Thanks for reading! ;D

possibly, attenuation of gain compression between 2 of the 6sk7’s

Fun unit for a gritty Motown thump!

scott2000 said:
Wonder if the balance is a tube balance pot.......? 6sk7

Nice unit!

Back