Anyone opened a Spirit before?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

A pal of mine has a 16-2 Spirit Studio he uses for monitoring and has asked me to pose this question before he takes a can-opener to it.

There is a loose connection on the master section (give it a good thump and the left channel comes back on) as well as some crackly pots / faders. He wants to take it apart and clean out the ribbon connectors and switches with Deoxit, and clean the faders with Cailube.

Has anyone here opened one of these? Any tips? It would be good to know if there are any booby-traps installed to deter self-maintenance as my friend is a novice.

Thanks in advance.

Justin

I have fixed several different Spririts. They're not as dense as Mackie/Behringers inside. Not really anything I can tell you... standard job.

I think keith can probably recall all the resisters by name in one too, he had some good tips for them (but not that kind of tip though).....

If this board has inserts on the 2-buss, check the switched 1/4" jacks. My Allen & Heath GL3 did the same thing. I learned the hard way. All it was was dirty jack. I didn't have to replace it. Just a good cleaning did the trick.

Maybe you checked this already,

Steven

Maybe you checked this already

Trust me, Felix hasn't checked anything already :shock: I'm a tad concerned that he might get the thing open and leave it gathering dust never to be reassembled, which is why I agreed to get opinions from you lot.

he had some good tips for them (but not that kind of tip though).....

Tres drole :green:

Cheers :guinness:

J

Justin,

I have the 24 chn studio and openeing them up is relatively straight forward. I'm NOT at all tech minded (yet), so I can't say anything in that regard, however I do have a copy of the Tech Manual which has schematics, parts lists, etc.,

I have a new master fader and a few new switches I have to instal shortly, once I replace the switches, I intend to sacrifice an old one to see if they can be opened up for cleaning. If he intend replacing any faders he will probably find that they have been superceded and it is necessary to buy new knobs to suit, they look the same but the new fader has a different shaft, also the new ones are cheaper than the old original part. Switches cost me $3.60 Aust., each.

His problems could be dirty jack sockets, switches or faders.........they all seem to create occasional issues.

If you need any info just holler, the schemes are A3 size so require multiple scans, etc.

If anyone ever hears of one of the being parted out I would love to get a couple of spare channel pcb assemblies.

ChrisO :cool:

Thanks for the offer ChrisO. I'll get back to you if it gets to the stage where a schematic is needed (hopefully it won't...).

Justin

Latest posts

Back