transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
As I am sure you know, there is much more to choosing components than their mystic powers. These questions have and will come up whether or not we make a particular place for them. So far those of us who reply have managed to steer clear of the mysticism and debunk or ignore it where it does occur. I think providing a particular place for component questions will encourage more people to ask about them, knowing there is a very good chance of getting a sensible answer.

Cheers

Ian
I believe if we need to create a new sub-section (if only for the sake of ignoring them  :eek: ), it should be about components in general. Singling out xfmrs would be an encouragement to mysticism.
I've checked the two other sites that I consider worthy, Pro Audio Design and diyAudio, they don't have a "components" sub-section, although the latter has distinction between tube and solid-state.

BTW, Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Conference Room?

In the absense of rational explanation ,mysticism ,superstition and ultimately religion or blind faith(for or against) can evolve.

Understanding transformers down to molecular level is a lot of work for most of us , you have ohms law to apply ,but with transformers inductance, capacitance and frequency , means its no longer like calculating simple resistances .  Ohms laws is nice and neat , three dimensions to consider , transformers for me is like an exercise in multidimensional thinking , a bit like chess  ,where every move ultimately effects every other piece on the board . 

Questions and references  about transformers arise in different subsections all the time  , thats no problem at all is it ?
machine shop is relevent to transformer winding as much as Lab is the perfect place for CJ to put his teardown/re-rolls , and for that matter why couldnt questions about transformers arise in Chamber .

What was the question again ? :D

JohnRoberts said:
Do we need a sub forum just for transformers, or change the description of this forum to include transformers so I don't have to move them all. 

Transformers do not have an obvious home...

JR

+1

abbey road d enfer said:
I don't get it.  ???
Transformers are just electronic components; should we also have sub-forums for resistors and caps too?
Of course, they shouldn't be in the Machine shop.

I see transformers as the only component with a considerable DIY aspect. So it makes sense to me to have a dedicated space for that.

Michael

JohnRoberts said:
or we could rename this forum machine shop & transformers, since everybody has decided to dump transformer posts here...  ::)

JR

The Machine Shop could be renamed something like Fabrication Corner.  That would be a catch all for mechanical construction.

Seems to me Transformers catogories come under a vast range of descriptions and conundrums
IE:
Power:Amplifier:toroidal
Audio:Input:Output
Specific:Chokes:power: Audio
Misc Wound Components.
Laminations
Ferrites

Winding Transformers is a "Machine Shop" Topic,or maybe not ?

;)

abbey road d enfer said:
I understand all that, but wouldn't creating a specific sub-forum for x-formers actually promote the myth of them being somewhat supernatural?
  Then we should analyse why, and try to fix this issue.

I would hope it would make them less supernatural, by placing relevant info in the same bucket where it's harder to miss. 

I don't know what the answer to the search problem is.  It comes up somewhat frequently.  I find I have a hard time finding even my own posts on certain topics, which I already know exist.  I can search myself as user with many variations of the possible topic, and sometimes never find it, then go digging in my local archives and find a link to the topic which appears to include all of the search queries, yet somehow it doesn't show up. 

s2udio said:
Seems to me Transformers catogories come under a vast range of descriptions and conundrums
IE:
Power:Amplifier:toroidal
Audio:Input:Output
Specific:Chokes:power: Audio
Misc Wound Components.
Laminations
Ferrites
You forgot "mojo", which is about the only reason people are interested in them.

Michael Tibes said:
I see transformers as the only component with a considerable DIY aspect. So it makes sense to me to have a dedicated space for that.
If you search tranformer threads, you will see three main branches of discussion:
  • Building them, which belongs to the Machine Shop.
  • Designing them/around them, which belongs to the Drawing Board.
  • Evaluating/Testing them, which belongs to the Chamber.
As I wrote earlier, I surrender... Vox populi
My guess is, as soon as we create a Transformers sub, there will be requests for a Tubes/Valves sub.  ;)

abbey road d enfer said:
If you search tranformer threads, you will see three main branches of discussion:
My guess is, as soon as we create a Transformers sub, there will be requests for a Tubes/Valves sub.  ;)

I think you are right, unfortunately.  Entropy wins.

abbey road d enfer said:
If you surrender stop chumming the water...  :eek:

JR

'vive la magnetica'    :)

Just discovered the new area  8)   

[and my spelling error]

Back