Individual PSU / Modulation Cables for tube mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessJackson

Thinking aloud... and I might be talking shiiiiii but..

I've always found it weird that tube mics send the audio back down to the power supply to an internal interconnect then back out.

With most studios your dealing with
Transformer to out - (1st interconnect)
psu (2nd  and 3rd interconnects)
patch bay / tie lines (4th and 5th interconnects)
back of rack preamp (5th interconnect)

Has anyone ever thought about modifying say a u47 to exit two cables? For instance.
#1 - PSU a small insulated cable supplying B+ and h+ if needed
#2 - High Quality AES 110ohm WydeEye or Canare DA206 or Mogami (direct to back of pre would be best)

I read all over web forums arguments about quad star vs this vs that rejection impedance etc... and how people hear huge noticeable differences when using AES on mics but they forget about all the interconnects and how small and poor the specs are of the modulation wires is inside say a GAC-7 because they are thinking not of modification but more from a consumer perspective.

Anyone experimented with this?

Why not simply try it?
You could split the cables at the microphone connector.  (One for power and one for audio.)
That will show the effect, if there is any...
Personally I think this will be very confusing (more cables) and probably the audible effect can be neglected.
I am often surprised to see that people invest large amounts of money in an 'interconnect' between their CD player and the amplifier. Most of the time I suppose they 'hear' the amount of money that is no longer in their wallet...
(I have been working for over 25 years as a professional recording engineer, but I never heard a real difference between cables.)

Insn't that what Manley does with their mics?

I was thinking about that. There are some situations where it might come in handy, and more practical. Also potentialy using one psu for several mics?

Easy to null test results if you don't want to fool your self.

And cool idea SE did with RNT mic. Build an actual pre inside of PSU. Than would be one cable option.

This way German bottle mics were made. In my CM7151 i left it this way even with separate PSU made.
Doesn't harm but is it any upgrade?!?!

RuudNL said:
(I have been working for over 25 years as a professional recording engineer, but I never heard a real difference between cables.)

I do hear differences, sometimes... , nevertheless if I have a cheap pair of cordial cables in my room and a pair of grimm cables (which to my ears do sound a little better nextd oor, I don't go there and pick up the grimm cable. I just use what I have.

I think often "psychoacoustics" play an important role here...
(If you want to hear that something sounds better, it probably will...)
In all professional studios I worked in over the years, they just had 'cables' !

I couldn't agree more. You'd rather trust an expensive cable than your own ears adjusting a mic position. In one case you just pay for what you get in the other you have to decide yourself whats good

I have built a microphone with the XLR connector on the microphone.

The XLR at the body was done because of the voltage rating of the multpin connector I was thinking of using. The connector was rated at 160V this was lower than the B+ I was using (Think about U67 voltages). So I used a different connector for the power and installed the XLR connector on the body. This was the square microphone.

Look up the voltage ratings of cables and connectors that people use with tube microphones.

Back