K67 in u87

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickdundee63

I understand that the original u67 capsules won't work in a u87 circuit because the backplates aren't isolated. But this is to do with the way both mics achieve their patterns, so would it be possible to use a k67 capsule in a u87 circuit if you only used one half and restricted it to cardiod??

The multipattern part indeed won't work in the earlier / "vintage" U87 circuit (lacking a DC-DC converter), but of course cardioid will work fine.

Or actually, you could get cardioid AND omni (tie the backplates together, and apply the bias voltage to the rear diaphragm through a switch, like in the old Rode NT2 non-A).

The later U87A circuitry does include a DC-DC converter, which also provides a negative voltage for achieving the fig-8 response without requiring isolated backplates.

Ah ok, cool. I've got an old k67 lying around but have a u67 clone so u87 in cardiod would be fine for my purposes. 90% primary vocal mic. But also good to know there could be options for omni down the track. Thankyou for your help!

Latest posts

Back