Buttons to left or right of faders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I notice many mixer have buttons to the right of faders. Is there any reason for this other than the designers were probably right handed? Would there be any objections if they were to the left of the faders? The reason I ask is that my PCB is on the left side so push buttons can be mounted there most easily.

Cheers

Ian

Hey Ian,
being right handed it kind of feels more natural to have buttons to the right of the fader, e.g. when you press solo and move the fader afterwards. Apart from that I don't see much of an objection to having them on the left side, it's just something you have to get used to. Either way, I'd prefer having at least mute and solo on the top of the fader so you can easily "swipe" through to mute/solo multiple channels.

Best
Jannis

In my world it was all about making as much as possible PC mounted... So there would be an inclination to have those switches on the same plane as main channel PCB.

JR

Hello Ian

Interesting question which I scratched my head on when designing my fader automation 3 years back
As right handed I started thinking button at right of the fader, then mechanical constrain force me to have them at left of the fader.
Soon I realised that functions related to fader status was finally better at left because the right hand was on the fader...

As already stated, solo/mute is better at the top, or side but very upper section of the fader (where the fader is barely set) for multiple channels sweep move, especially with tact switches  8)

But honestly, as John say, put the buttons the easyest way regarding mechanical integration, I suppose no one will complain about ergonomics for this...

Best
Zam

...my personal view is that I never liked ANY buttons alongside the faders!

Churlish of me, I accept, but they always annoyed me unless there was PLENTY of clear space. I hated 'snagging' my fingers on button caps as I moved faders...

Hi,

At least one console from A&H  had the buttons to the left of faders. I was confused at first but you get used to it.

Just make sure that the silkscreen makes it clear which button goes with which channel at first glance. (i.e. fat lines between channels or color spill or whatever)

Thomas

Edit: I just checked and it seems that most Allen & Heath GL series got buttons on the left of faders.

I always prefered the routing switches up at the top end of the module , alongside like the A&H isnt my favourite style , Soundcraft stuff wasnt too bad layout wise , inevitably you have all kinds of constraints physically and electrically to be dealing with here that we cant fully appreciate.

If its a simple right or left choice , I'd go left .

pucho812 said:
the real question is what buttons do you plan to put there. Most of the time, buttons by the fader are for an automation package of some sorts.
The answer is the ones I cannot fit anywhere else. There are so many features you could add to a channel but the available panel space is limited. Right now I really have two mixer options. The lower cost one does not have a separate routing module but includes basic routing in the channel module (a couple of AUxes, PAN and a combined Mute/On/PFL or Mute/On/Solo switch. There is only a single stereo bus.

The more complex one does have a separate routing module which allows all of the above plus 2 more AUXes, an insert switch , routing to one of two stereo buses and allows the channel module to include a HPF.

If the simpler wants wants to include any of these additions the only place for them is in the fader panel. I do not plan to put AUX pots there but a bus select switch and an insert switch could go there.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
The answer is the ones I cannot fit anywhere else. There are so many features you could add to a channel but the available panel space is limited. Right now I really have two mixer options. The lower cost one does not have a separate routing module but includes basic routing in the channel module (a couple of AUxes, PAN and a combined Mute/On/PFL or Mute/On/Solo switch. There is only a single stereo bus.

The more complex one does have a separate routing module which allows all of the above plus 2 more AUXes, an insert switch , routing to one of two stereo buses and allows the channel module to include a HPF.

If the simpler wants wants to include any of these additions the only place for them is in the fader panel. I do not plan to put AUX pots there but a bus select switch and an insert switch could go there.

Cheers

Ian

Cool.

Latest posts

Back