Vulcanized Fiber vs plastic washer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

My intuition says pressed fiber would remain insinuative longer, and keep screw tension longer than cheap amazon plastic washers. What's your opinion?  Some third option like HDPE?

When I want a screw isolated from chassis I use nylon shoulder washers and regular nylon washers. Once it’s isolated from the chassis I use stainless steel lock washers on top of the nylon to keep everything in place. If it’s a brass binding post I usually use a brass nut and solder it onto the post.

Thanks, Gold.  You gotta be pretty confident in your pcb to be soldering the standoff nuts!  I might do that just to try. 
Does threadlock degrade too?  Not sure why I care about these silly pcbs being secure 50+ years from now...

I don't solder the standoff nuts. I was talking about having a binding post for audio common isolated from chassis. For standoffs I use thread locker on both the chassis side and the PCB side. I don't use toothed lock washers on the PCB because they can puncture the PCB and cause shorts. I know from experience...You could use them on the chassis side but I like the outside of a case to be a smooth as possible.

Latest posts

Back