The day the music burned

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I'm not sure if this has been passed along on this forum....

Yes, it's a LONG article, and more than a few times I "squirmed" about some of the wording/tech terms, but very interesting (and sad).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/the-day-the-music-burned/ar-AACIbo2

Kinda reminds me of when Jack (?) Warner ordered the destruction of a bazillion animation "cels" used in classic Warner Brothers cartoons.

"Not worth keeping".

Bri

A good read.

if I may add:
many of the Rolling Stones masters were trashed after the 1st round of 16 bit digital transfers to 3/4" U-matic in the early 80's: do  recall,  "perfect sound forever".
an Orange County, CA record company didn't even saw the 2" master reels s for the aluminum,
simply tossed into the dumpster.
some of the Motown masters (pre-fire) were lost or discarded,  some tracks for box sets were made from 7.5"/sec safety copies.
and the destruction of countless stampers/masters dating back to the pre-electrical era at Victor-Camden  during demolition of the buildings, despite frantic calls for preservation.

I ‘m saddened by it but I asked Kitty Wells who is mentioned in the article and she didn’t seem affected by the news.

Attachments

• 460178A6-B4C3-4590-9931-A07647F8E1EB.jpeg
    460178A6-B4C3-4590-9931-A07647F8E1EB.jpeg
    982.2 KB · Views: 9
Seems like a great example of when consolidation and mergers are NOT a good thing.  All under one roof?  Really? 

I remember when this happened in 2008.  what we knew then vs what was reported was vastly different. While the news reports were a fire at a media storage those in the audio circles knew a vastly different tale. But no worries, a lot of these were already transferred to "digital", while that does not make for the best of things, they are not entirely lost forever.

Latest posts

Back