• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB metal shield for grid cap on a 6J7

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ombudsman

Anybody have a spare one of these knocking about ? Or a 6J7 that includes one ? This is the shield that goes over the top cap.

As on the right:
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u422/Realmsman/Mox%20Nix/6J7.jpg

Trying to avoid an allergy triggering hunt through a dusty barn.

thanks.

Those are very hard to find
Good luck

I wonder if you could find a plumbing part that could be adapted to work?

thanks dmp. Yeah, maybe it will come to that, I would think I could cut down something and then crimp it to fit. I'll try for a couple of weeks to find an old one and then see where it stands.

The unit is going to live inside a big old metal rack case which I am getting to make it unnecessarily heavy and bombproof, so maybe the shield won't be so critical.

I may have misread what you're after. These in the eBay listing are shielded top caps, not the second shield that goes over that one.

Have you thought about some 3M shielding tape, or is appearance of overriding importance?

rackmonkey, right, the connectors themselves seem to be plentiful. The shield/covers that go on that much less so, and I guess they are not always needed, but when they are the input tube in a mic pre,  the odds would go up.

This is for a nice vintage unit which will sit in the top of a rack of cool looking tube gear, I was hoping to have it all correct and original (other than mandatory cap and resistor changes), but the tape sounds like a perfectly fine substitute for the time being. I'm sure I'll eventually find one of these things.

As I said it is going to reside in a big honking steel cabinet in the short term, so I'll see what the hum level is in a couple of days when it is all together. Maybe it will be close enough to spec to not worry about it; then again my room is in an area that does have noise/interference problems.

Well, I thought maybe I had found the right thing, but it is a way too big shield that goes all the way over the whole tube and includes a cap.

Now my tech has found a single one of the correct cap, so I should be good on this project, but it doesn't leave any extras to spread around to the others that are looking. I've got some saved searches going now, so maybe some more will turn up later.

thanks everybody

Latest posts

Back