Les Paul jimmy page 50s wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

Hi All,

I’ve just got hold of some. We Kent Armstrong pickups and re wired my Les Paul 1960s classic to the jimmy page 50s wiring (Seymour Duncan version)

https://www.google.com/search?q=jimmy+page+50s+wiring&safe=strict&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB769GB769&hl=en-GB&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZxYSY--biAhVyUBUIHQA5CPkQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=375&bih=551&dpr=2#imgrc=tR0IzSh1oCc0gM

I’ve wired it up and all seems to work apart from the neck tone control?
Is this correct or should it work?

i had one back in days in similar wiring, it was a second hand guitar.
i remember, tone was working kind a like a volume control... lovering it was resulting less drive on amp! not toning down!
it was working better than lovering standard wired volume pot!
i was playing Page solos at that time from their live album.... i was getting pretty exact tone without an EQ through out the solos and riffs etc!

kambo said:
i had one back in days in similar wiring, it was a second hand guitar.
i remember, tone was working kind a like a volume control... lovering it was resulting less drive on amp! not toning down!
Seems you had a quite common pick-up failure, where the wire is cut inside the winding and there's large capacitive coupling between the two halves, so basically, it's a pick-up in series with a 500-1000pF capacitor; indeed, in that case, the tone pot controls the overall volume!

I did something similar wiring to my Les Paul,  the tone controls should work in normal operation. It's a bit complicated of a wiring,  does everything else work correctly?

One problem I had is knobs loosening.  There is no set screw so they tend to lose grip with lots of push pull operation.

Yes John, everything works fine apart from the Neck tone control, to be honest i never use it but now with all these tonal possibilities i would like it all to work!!
I used the guitar at last nights gig and was well impressed through a Victory Kraken, i'll take another look its just i got 10 FET47 mic bodies to nickel plate and get ready for selling!!!

Latest posts

Back