DBX 2150A vs. THAT 2150A?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhartung

Im wondering if there is any difference between these. I can get my hands on some old dbx 2150A VCAs that are from about 1980 or so. Is there any advantage to putting these into a SSL comp for example?

thanks

mike

I don't think so but others may disagree.

I sent an email to Mr That and he gave me a little run down on how he left DBX and took a few things with him.
As far as I know the 2150 design (all of them) is one of them.

It was a long time ago and I can't find the email ... I think I had a computer go west and I lost all stuff from that time.
My memory may be stuffed and I have it all wrong but from what I remember it was an interesting but quite amicable story.

the original DBX2150 chips dosen't seem to be as well manufactured as the (later) THAT2150's. e.g. untrimmed, the THAT behaves much better in general, pointing to closer chip production tolerances.

There's definitely no reason to go "vintage" here..

Jakob E.

Hey,

Anybody interested in a D-B-X 2001 hack?

:shock: :thumb:

I dunno if it helps, but the patent for the 2001 shows a schemo but doesnt have any values - could we decipher them?

I started this a while back. Do you think this double sided board would be too tough?

dbx_pc1.jpg

dbx_2001_1.jpg

Hey CJ..

can't really tell without a parts overlay - did u mean tough like etching wise or stuffing components?

Good stuff CJ :thumb:

Think we can do a layout from that...

You got the component values all sorted?

:guinness:

Well, I have another one that Scenaria sent me in virgin condition.

I can hack it too. I think he has a whole suitcase full of those, plus a few people on the market, so no biggy, I can always get more. Trying to remember, but I think the transistors did not have p/n's. I will find out tonite.

cj

Latest posts

Back