Shure Beta 57a - fake or real?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
Hi folks, I just bought a microphone on ebay kleinanzeigen. Seller is not sure if its real or fake! Looks real to me, what do you think? Fake or real? Thank you.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
It is lacking Shure logo on the top of the cartridge. On original piece the yellow tape is barely noticeable, the XLR to phone jack cable is something that comes with fake ones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190625-220028_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20190625-220028_Firefox.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 31
Thanks a lot, that sounds pretty convincing! I hope my 30€ fake mic will sound as good as the tbone clones for the same money ...  ;)

I did some checking on sm57's a year back , the differences between the fakes and the real ones can be hard to spot , the copies were also improving fast , you'd really need a genuine mic in your hand to compare it to know for sure , there is also a few sites I found dedicated to spotting the fakes , but the faux manufacturers are upping their game all the time.57's of different era's sound different ,even two of the exact same batch can sound different , any 57 fake Ive compared to a genuine sounded different too .

Soundwise the fake probably wont have the same feedback rejection and wont  be as robust as the genuine, worth considering if its for live use ,
I always keep an eye out for other old Shure dynamics ,55's, 565's ,unidyne III's etc each mic has its own particular combination of sensitivity , EQ  and off axis  response ,they give  a nice sound palate to choose from for recording where you deliberately want the mid range punch .

Tubetec said:
I did some checking on sm57's a year back , the differences between the fakes and the real ones can be hard to spot , the copies were also improving fast , you'd really need a genuine mic in your hand to compare it to know for sure , there is also a few sites I found dedicated to spotting the fakes , but the faux manufacturers are upping their game all the time.57's of different era's sound different ,even two of the exact same batch can sound different , any 57 fake Ive compared to a genuine sounded different too .

Soundwise the fake probably wont have the same feedback rejection and wont  be as robust as the genuine, worth considering if its for live use ,

Short feedback from my side, the mic was delivered the other day.  Somebody, driven by  a lot of criminal energy, did a "good" job. The whole package looks pretty real. You need a real Shure mic to see and feel the difference. The fake shure is soundwize close to the original, I hear more treble.

It is really  astonishing how many of the offered Shure Beta 57a mics on ebay/ eBay Kleinanzeigen are fakes, after finding out how to recognize them! None of them was marked as a clone, all of them ask for the real price.  :(

I wouldnt be one bit happy if I got stung for full price on a fake , @ 30 euros though its probably ok value ,
blatantly ripping off someone elses product isnt very nice ,but thats globalisation for you .

Few years back i needed a sm57 so bad but i was broke (10 years later im still broke) i ended upp buying a js 57 which sounded pretty much amazing..i even used it in lead vocals recordings..best buy ever!

Latest posts

Back