weiss

WTB: Western Electric 111C or similar audio transformers
« on: June 26, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »
I want to build a passive "color box" kind of thing. Therefore looking to find some usable transformers for this project.
If you have something similar or more common to offer, let me know  :)

ruairioflaherty

Re: WTB: Western Electric 111C or similar audio transformers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »
WE111C are a wrong and expensive choice for this.  Despite much internet folklore they are all but invisible in the audio path, and I've spent months with them available in a mastering chain hitting them at all levels on many genres with great converters.

I'm guessing you could get them to misbehave more by using not ideal out/in impedances but I would look elsewhere.

For good value I liked what the cheaper steel Cinemags did, a little fluffy for mastering but fun in a recording and mixing scenario.

EmRR

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 07:06:48 PM »
Yep, they do a thing but it's pretty subtle.  Not what I think of when I think 'color box'.  Now those HS-56/66 as used on Pultecs, those things are a fluffy color box.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde

weiss

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 08:30:40 PM »
WE111C are a wrong and expensive choice for this.  Despite much internet folklore they are all but invisible in the audio path, and I've spent months with them available in a mastering chain hitting them at all levels on many genres with great converters.

I'm guessing you could get them to misbehave more by using not ideal out/in impedances but I would look elsewhere.

For good value I liked what the cheaper steel Cinemags did, a little fluffy for mastering but fun in a recording and mixing scenario.

thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of that!
What cinemags are you refering to?

Yep, they do a thing but it's pretty subtle.  Not what I think of when I think 'color box'.  Now those HS-56/66 as used on Pultecs, those things are a fluffy color box.

I would love to try them one day but unfortunately they aren't low-budget although the sowter 3603 sounds like a possible alternative ?

weiss

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 12:27:22 PM »

would these also work for that purpose?

EmRR

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 01:24:59 PM »
would these also work for that purpose?

Probably, but no telling what response  or headroom is there, they look pretty small.   That vendor is chronically overpriced on everything too; it's one thing if you can say WHAT you're selling, but generally there's no info.  .
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde

weiss

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 01:18:21 PM »
I went for two utc A20. If you ever built something similar, how does your unit/box look?

craigmorris74

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 05:49:39 PM »
I want with two Stancor WF-30s, which are pretty much the same as your utc's.  I used the little box in the attached pic.

weiss

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »
I want with two Stancor WF-30s, which are pretty much the same as your utc's.  I used the little box in the attached pic.

Looking great :) First time i hear about the wf30!
Haven't seen rack units yet. Are boxes more practical?

craigmorris74

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 07:58:17 PM »
I wish I would have put mine in a 1u rack with my passive monitor controller and direct box transformers to save space, but most that I've seen have been in little boxes like mine. 

These transformers make almost every individual source sound better when tracking.

weiss

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 06:21:43 AM »
I wish I would have put mine in a 1u rack with my passive monitor controller and direct box transformers to save space, but most that I've seen have been in little boxes like mine. 

These transformers make almost every individual source sound better when tracking.

Good to hear! Really excited to try this out. :)

mjrippe

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 10:42:25 AM »

https://analogaudiorepair.com/2013/06/29/transformer-saturation-box-wutc-davens/

weiss

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
https://analogaudiorepair.com/2013/06/29/transformer-saturation-box-wutc-davens/

yeah! thanks. Already checked it out  :)
Does it make sense to use a pot when only using one transformer per channel?

mjrippe

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
yeah! thanks. Already checked it out  :)
Does it make sense to use a pot when only using one transformer per channel?

Yes, if you want to send a hot signal to saturate the xfmr.  A Daven attenuator is made for specific impedances -600/600 in this case.  You can use a pot after the xfmr, but it may change the response.