Aluminum bus(s) channel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atavacron

Has anyone made a Neve buss channel? End view attached., this is from a broadcast series desk. Channels are about 5mm wide. The cover (hidden by ruler) is just flat stock with two screws, but is integral for shielding..  Original bars ran the length of the desk and held all the bus(s) feed resistors and strips.

We’ll see if this posts.

Attachments

• 87C3789D-2121-4D8E-B6C8-769D26B5FE1E.jpeg
    87C3789D-2121-4D8E-B6C8-769D26B5FE1E.jpeg
    750.3 KB · Views: 85
Front, busses labeled at right. The top one holds 10 busses and is a bit tricky to find (well, they both are). I believe pins and insulators were Cambion. The chamfer still shows up in their spec sheets; sadly the exact pins are no longer in production, but a matching PTFE insulator should be accessible.

Attachments

• 6B79F44B-D799-4AAE-9B9E-FD7BE516083A.jpeg
    6B79F44B-D799-4AAE-9B9E-FD7BE516083A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Maybe do a google search on it include the groupdiy in the query, as I recall about 6 months ago someone in fact taking that route and sourcing the bushings, etc with pictures. I can't recall at the moment if it was resto or clone.

Edit: one thing I do remember is they did it like the old Neve's and used the aluminum extrusion both as a 'half shield' for resistors as well as a bus bar for summing. I don't remember seeing any copper down in the channel.

Edit2:  Ah, I found the thread!  It was a member "API" doing a resto:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=63116.msg820179#msg820179

So hardcore!  Inspires me all over again.

That sent me on a whole ISEP tangent via SRS. Doesn’t look like they have anything close to the right extrusion but it’s nice to see all those framing resources. I couldn’t find the shot of the buss channel you might be referring to, though I recall it was a different one than what I’m after - much larger cavity, basically just U channel. This is much more akin to a modern heatsink extrusion.

Wish I knew who the OEM was! Sometimes they keep it on file...I’d like to have some knobs made and it turns out that Diamond Engineering in Sussex actually kept the original spec for the broadcast series knobs (which actually are a bit of a pain in the butt as designed due to the knob cap mounting method). Not really affordable unless you can get up to a 500 count, but interesting nonetheless.

a different [busbar] than what I’m after - much larger cavity
Some of those look fairly large to me!

4.jpg

Wish I knew who the OEM was!
Since it's a section of the frame that does not require a high degree of accuracy, if it must be U-bent aluminum, go to a hardware superstore and get sliding door framing and DIY it up?
Post progress, if you don't mind! 
/cheers

How about this one?

http://alberko.com/index.php/heatsink-extrusions/161as.html

It's a little less than half an inch between the cooling fins and about half an inch high, gives you a 20 channel bus...

cyrano said:
How about this one?

http://alberko.com/index.php/heatsink-extrusions/161as.html

It's a little less than half an inch between the cooling fins and about half an inch high, gives you a 20 channel bus...

Resourceful! I don’t think 1/2W resistors would fit though.

My application is 9 busses btw.

Latest posts

Back