Splitting hairs question...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

So Jensen JT-DB-EPC calls for 6.81k  resistor into High-Z input...

Given a lack of patience on parts arrival,  at the ready is either 6.8k carbon or 6.2k metal.  Which matters less, resistor composition or being off by 600 ohms,  IYHO? 

I can hear someone saying that old instrument circuits are full of carbon resistors, so what's one more measly resistor in the chain going to do?
gUN992s.jpg

For a direct box ? ? ?

Use the first 5k-10k resistor you find. This is not a precision job. I have a strong feeling only Deane could know that resistor is in there.

boji said:
Excellent. This calls for a second beer while soldering.  8)

Im also a fan of drinking beer whilst soldering!  ;) I was also a fan of drinking beer whilst reading a book, but I quickly found out that I always forgot what I just read.  ;D

PRR said:
For a direct box ? ? ?

Use the first 5k-10k resistor you find. This is not a precision job. I have a strong feeling only Deane could know that resistor is in there.
+1

the actual resistance and/or composition are not significant in that application. The 12:1 transformer is stepping up the mic termination by roughly 144x (12^2). The difference between your two resistors is negligible in series with 150k or more. 

JR

the actual resistance and/or composition are not significant in that application. The 12:1 transformer is stepping up the mic termination by roughly 144x (12^2). The difference between your two resistors is negligible in series with 150k or more. 

I knew better. You've gone and un-brewrey-d this.  What did I expect?  ;D 

Thank you for the why!

Latest posts

Back