« on: June 30, 2019, 10:27:57 PM »
Just thought it was appropriate.

I especially love the :

- cinemag 2461nico mic traffo
- CJ eddi SE output traffo

As well as many more. 

I ping therefore I am

shabtek

Re: To All The Transformers I've Loved :)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:50:51 PM »
You feeling alright?
That was a suspiciously short post.
"really fine players do not use stomp boxes or master volume, they match the amp to the room and turn it up to 11.  Stevie Ray, BB King, Albert King, Duane Allman, Dicky Betts, Louis Armstrong"
   -CJ

alexc

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 04:00:26 AM »
:)

Just a quiet awe for the art and science of good magnetics  suddenly came upon me!
I ping therefore I am

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 05:36:54 PM »
Whats CJ's eddi Se  ?

alexc

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 12:51:04 AM »
the      'cj  - eddi' is what I call  ..

a single ended output transformer, good for 10 to 15 mA of standing current with a notional 8K primary and 600 secondary

made by CJ  of course!

It's a generous chunk of iron no doubt and it fits the bill in a good variety of such tasks ...  single-ended line output amps :)

What I like is the the reassuring heftiness, and it sounds very nice - quite cost competitive too, I thought at the time I bought - even for a far distant ship such as myself.

Super easy to wire into a very simple,  but seriously classy    ...  DI     

As always , psu build is very important and for best results, I like to remote well away from the business end  of the signal unit.

And the cinemag nico is just super duper. I mean really. 

As a 'mic head amp' output traffo, it has a lot of character, whilst retaining serious 'fidelity'.  It fits into a 'u47' build very nicely and as an adjunct, functions beautifully in a DI application too. 

With some good shielding (such as you find inside a tube mic), the small but well weighty cinemag nico growls with fidelity on bass, e-gtr, acoustic  .. no problem at all   :)

Nothing beats great magnetics, except thems with  great supporting active circuits  as well, like.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:37:16 AM by alexc »
I ping therefore I am

alexc

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 09:14:18 AM »
Jensens are fabulous magnetics people, of course.   

I especially like those larger dimensioned, well sheild-canned    4:1    line input units   ...  J something or other  .. 

When I measured them up the exceeded my abilities (and knowledge) to measure their limits.

I think that they sounded to me like the lowest distortion I ever heard on bass, e-gtr and acoustic.

In the output traffo end, for tube related gear, the Sowter push-pull (differential) units were the thing in the high end of investment.

And of course,  my 'working-mans fav' ..
      - the usa made  Edcor has found a place in just about half of everything 'tube' I ever built  :) 
I ping therefore I am

alexc

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 05:05:22 AM »
Then there's the UTC made transformers .... I myself most only have had occasion to use their smaller A series and some other interesting types, plus a bunch of O series mic input units.

Love the form factor of the A series ...  it's art for sure ... in the hands of proper build persons, they can be very satisfying.

The O series are little marvels  ...  on mixer channel strips, one could do worse than plug into these!

For the larger UTC types, the real classics ..  well there's prolly lots of people out there that are 'experienced'.

I like to wallow in some examples of  the 'local related makers'  of these classics ..   

And it's a case of more than I have time to work with. Fine craftsmanship for sure,  at enthusiast entry levels.

Even so, the really nice local ones have well since elevated beyond reach of the marginally funded.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:14:52 AM by alexc »
I ping therefore I am

alexc

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 07:16:21 AM »
And no magnetics fan club would be anything without fine german engineering !

Again, several levels of physics and craftsmanship beyond my understanding  but not without a wow factor even in my short journeys into such.,

I started with Haufe, Pikatron and the occasional Neumann  from old circuit boards ...  they were my real education.

Beyond which it quickly gets into the stratosphere ...  but at times my own results even, were uncanny good.

I ping therefore I am

alexc

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 07:22:40 AM »
Even,  only briefly mentioning Lundahl ,   is a dis-service   :)     

Theirs is a  great tradition of manufacturing, innovation and quality across the board.

Coolio  :)
I ping therefore I am