The best solution to climate change? Plant lot's of trees!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before royal Britannia ruled the waves , Ireland was covered with quite a dense hardwood forest , short term thinking has led to some fast growing woodlands in the modern age ,but were well behind the rest of europe in terms of natural woodlands .

Seems like this guy had the right idea a few hundred years back ,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed

In recent years I have planted more trees on my property than I cut down, mostly fruit trees.

This weekend I cut some more hedges and kudzu vines that were threatening my telephone pole. I don't care if kudzu consumes CO2, its evil.

That remedy (plant 1T trees) seems more harmless than most, kind of merging tree huggers with climate alarmists. How is CA doing with all those extra trees, that still should be thinned/managed?

I only skimmed the article, but didn't see any mention of the clear-cutting massive acreage in the Amazon rain forest... A pretty big deal years ago.

I don't buy that this could remedy a species extinction (us not the trees) event. I guess they want to scare boys and girls into subscribing.

JR

SKJGProject said:
legalize hemp....one of the fastes biomass-building plants

Yes indeed.  Hemp is also a great alternative for use in the housing/building industry.  Combining with a lime vs portland cement mix even better.

It would certainly go a long way toward curbing thousands of years of humans' shortsightedness.

I don't know if it's true, the story they tell in books, that in ancient days a monkey could have left Rome and skipped from tree to tree till it reached Spain, without ever touching earth. The only place so thick with trees in my day was the whole length, from end to end, of the gulf of Ombrosa and its valley right up to the mountain crests; the area was famous everywhere for this.

Nowadays these parts are very different. It was after the arrival of the French that people began chopping down trees as if they were grass which is scythed every year and grows again. They have never grown again. At first we thought it was something to do with the war, with Napolen, with the period. But the chopping went on. Now the hillsides are so bare that when we look at them, we who new them before, it makes us feel bad.

Italo Calvino, The Baron in the Trees.

Hemp builds biomass quickly (and, well, so does kudzu ...). Does it sequester it effectively, though? Trees sequester carbon because they get huge vertically and take many decades to die. If hemp dies and is decomposed, that carbon is no longer sequestered.

Bamboo is also extremely fast growing, spreads quickly, lives at least a decade, and creates very dense forests, though I don't know how the biomass compares to an evergreen forest. But it's also a bit of a "pest."

JohnRoberts said:
I don't buy that this could remedy a species extinction (us not the trees) event. I guess they want to scare boys and girls into subscribing.

Species extinction is not what we are concerened with. A runaway greenhouse effect that would result in earth becoming a second Venus is concidered highly unlikely.

https://climatefeedback.org/claimreview/earth-is-not-at-risk-of-becoming-a-hothouse-like-venus-as-stephen-hawking-claimed-bbc/

BTW, insurance companies are increasingly pulling investment from fossil fuel assets, because anthropogenic climate change is bad for their bottom line.

living sounds said:
Species extinction is not what we are concerened with. A runaway greenhouse effect that would result in earth becoming a second Venus is concidered highly unlikely.

https://climatefeedback.org/claimreview/earth-is-not-at-risk-of-becoming-a-hothouse-like-venus-as-stephen-hawking-claimed-bbc/

BTW, insurance companies are increasingly pulling investment from fossil fuel assets, because anthropogenic climate change is bad for their bottom line.
Bad for their brand image...  Some of the same consumers ASSume fake meat is healthy....

JR

The Eu has struck a huge deal with south American countries ,chemicals and beef , theres absolutely nothing green about it whatsoever , large tracts of virgin forrest are cleared  , here in Ireland it'll  undermine the quality of our own product and the extra business for the chemical industry just makes even more  a mess of the environment , this is all in the interests of industrialists ,SFA to do with whats good for the people ,

The farmers union here in Ireland numbers 120,000 strong ,its the biggest most powerfull block in the country ,they can paralyse transport in the capitol when they all drive there in their tractors , many now may have  to give up raising cattle it seems , the irony is the cattle raised in Ireland grazing in the fields is about as green as it gets ,what they do in Brasil is an ecological disaster ,but this is what these Eurocrats have signed us upto ,

A crop like Hemp could be just the thinking we need to help get us out of this sh!t , leaf Im sure is perfectly suitable for animal feed ,the fibres make a first class textile material ,and the core  of the stalks contains a great additive to building materials as was mentioned .

Winston O'Boogie said:
Yes indeed.  Hemp is also a great alternative for use in the housing/building industry.  Combining with a lime vs portland cement mix even better.
Using lime might make things worse. Aeons of carbon is stored in limestone. I suspect he process of slaking it releases CO2 back into the atmosphere.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Using lime light make things worse. Aeons of carbon is stored in limestone. I suspect he process of slaking it releases CO2 back into the atmosphere.

Cheers

Ian
shh calcium carbonate in the oceans are a source of CO2....  Lots of CO2 down there.

Maybe we can outlaw that?
======
Hemp is good for making rope, but not sure what we will do with all that rope.  ;D  Back in the 70s I was stationed at FT Riley KS. During WWII they grew a lot of hemp around there for making rope for the war effort... Decades later GIs ended up buying a lot of low grade pot from those rope crops...

JR

My basement is flooding again.  So far a foot. Out back behind my house, constructions crews from nearby YMCA are presently wading in thigh-high water, scrambling to move all their materials and equipment to high ground.

It's becoming the norm that floods occur every year now in my area.  It must be due to the Catoctin mountains, which are part of the Appalachian range. They seem to be steering the saturated air across our town to empty out on Baltimore, by way of seeking the cooler air from the Chesapeake inlet.

Well, that and the earth's climate is quickly changing.  Stick your fingers in your ears if you want to about it, but many of you will eventually need to free up your hands to swim.

Don't confuse weather with climate. While empirically we appear to be in a warming period, as has happened before previous ice ages.

The human race has resources and capability we didn't have before previous ice ages so should be able to deal a lot better, next time around, not that I expect anything dramatic very soon.

There is a lot of water in the Mississippi river valley right now. Good luck to them and you.

I have a sump pump in my crawl space i could lend you.  Since I put gutters on my house it has almost completely stopped raining here.

JR

I have a sump pump in my crawl space i could lend you.
Thanks for the offer. I have one now in use, purchased during the last flood.

I hear you on the correlation without causation. I simply can't help but have this reoccurring experience that falls in line with climate science warnings and I get nervous. The conditioning is starting to stress me out. This time around I had visions of moving all my stuff to the top floor, only to see it become submerged as well.

I know of a pro studio which was built at least 10 meters below surface, its great  for noise control, but it turns out that one day after 20 years, the subterrainean water rised in level effectively flooding the studio, they need pumps 24/7 just to get the water out, it has nothing to do with rain season, this is every day, if you visit the studio everything looks fine, because they had raised wooden floors, but if you lifted one of the wood covers , everything was covered in water, power ducts, audio ducts, everything.

boji said:
The conditioning is starting to stress me out. This time around I had visions of moving all my stuff to the top floor, only to see it become submerged as well.
I wouldn't worry about it.  I saw a Senator had brought a snowball on to the floor of the Senate, which pretty much fully disproves  anthropomorphic global warming handily.

We'll handle this situation like we handle all other emergency situations...Take for instance, the fire department: everyone knows that the fire department will never spray water on your burning house  until you can conclusively prove it was arson and not a some natural mishap.  Because if God willed it, it's a waste of water to remedy a situation that obviously would have happened in any case, right?  If you are fast enough, you can run in and grab your belongings, and get some good exercise as a bargain.

Plus, homes have been flooding since primordial man has lived in caves, which means you really don't have much to worry about.

::)

boji said:
Thanks Matador, I need some levity and a levy.

Thanks, yes, I forgot to recommend a levy as well!  Most of the cost is in the labor, so digging it yourself before the concrete is poured saves a ton of money.

Back