The best solution to climate change? Plant lot's of trees!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
Alexis de Tocqueville ("Democracy in America") also said that as soon as the politicians figure out that they can bribe voters with their own money, democracy is dead. He was prescient.

Look at the proposed give aways in the primary campaign going on right now from multiple candidates, tens of trillions dollars.

JR

Thanks to the conservative supreme court majority and their Citizens United v. FEC decision...

living sounds said:
Similar things are happening under the Trump administration. Many decades of scientifc data may be lost forever. I'm not sure many of the voters know / understand / care.
It appears that the president of Brazil has responded to Angela Merkel's criticism suggesting that she should reforest Germany (sorry I couldn't find the exact quote). Apparently several EU countries have contributed $M to an amazon rain forest preservation effort. Meanwhile logging companies are starting more fires there as the Brazilian president fiddles.. as he looks on approvingly. 

I can understand (but not agree with) the Brazilian president's desire to exploit his natural resources to benefit his own economy.  The Amazon rain forest has value far beyond carbon capture. It is remarkable for its biodiversity that would be a shame to lose if reduced acreage destroys the rain forest ecosystem.

JR

It sure does seem like a crazy amount of forest is burning today.

For the first time, this year, I'm leasing some storage space in a secure concrete building which is resistant to fire.

Smallish, as I only have a few flammable things I don't want to risk  :)  A couple of boxes of diy, some guitars and paper files and so on.

Seems like good insurance for the couple of months of hazard  ..  last year was super close!

Along with all the other animals and birds around here, I hope it doesn't get too gnarly  [again] here, this next hot season.

Good luck, I recall fires when I visited a friend in Sydney around 20 years ago.

The ENSO (el Nino southern oscillation) is a large patch of pacific ocean that gets warmer (el nino) or cooler (la nina) then normal.  The ENSO can affect climate thousands of miles away.

Predictions and current measurements show ENSO-neutral with slightly warmer temps in western Pacific and slightly cooler temps in eastern Pacific (averaging out).  I am paying attention to this because we are now entering the active hurricane season (my storms come east to west out of Africa and across the Atlantic), but lately the tropical storms have been driven up north into the Atlantic away from  landfall (on top of me).

I have mentioned the fires in Amazon rain forest before, but this is getting more public attention from EU leaders that were funding stabilization efforts in the amazon and angry about the apparent back sliding.  Even the President everyone loves to hate has offered to help President Bolsonaro put out the fires. Bolsonaro has announced he was sending tens of thousands of troops to put out the fires, but I think the fires are still burning.

I would hate to see this natural resource (unique ecosystem that generates copious O2  and biodiversity we all want preserved) destroyed for short term economic gain, but not an easy choice for those directly involved. We wealthy nations have the luxury of taking a longer term perspective. I suspect Brazil does not appreciate being told what to do, for everyone else's benefit.

JR

Latest posts

Back