Cleaning NOS ceramic rotary switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron_swanson

I have three NOS ceramic rotary switches that I'm planning to put into service for my next build.  The switches are a bit crusty from sitting around, so I was hoping to toss them into my ultrasonic cleaner for a good cleaning bath.

I noticed there is a bit of lube at the top just below the top plate.  As such, should I completely disassemble these and re-lube after cleaning?  Or is the best path just to remove the  decks and leave well enough alone?

I've never completely disassembled switches like this, but after studying a bit it looks like that could be done with some patience and pre-disassembly pictures for reference. 

If complete disassembly is the best path, what lube should I use when re-assembling?  Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!

~ Greg

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
ron_swanson said:
I have three NOS ceramic rotary switches that I'm planning to put into service for my next build.  The switches are a bit crusty from sitting around, so I was hoping to toss them into my ultrasonic cleaner for a good cleaning bath.

I noticed there is a bit of lube at the top just below the top plate.  As such, should I completely disassemble these and re-lube after cleaning?  Or is the best path just to remove the  decks and leave well enough alone?

I've never completely disassembled switches like this, but after studying a bit it looks like that could be done with some patience and pre-disassembly pictures for reference. 

If complete disassembly is the best path, what lube should I use when re-assembling?  Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!

~ Greg
I would not recommend complete disassembly, not because it's particularly difficult, but there are so many risks of damaging a leaf or losing a tiny part. I would suggest you put the switch with the wafers at the bottom, making sure the bushing is not in the cleaner. That should clean the contacts and wafers only, while leaving the lubricant intact.
Regarding the type of lubricant, there have been a lot of improvements since these were made; I would suggest, if needed, using Teflon grease, such as this
https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Premium-Grease-Fluoropolymer/dp/B01G5VFCEQ

Old tooth brush and toothpaste I found great for cleaning ceramics and plated metal contacts , but Abbeys right its easy to damage or misalign a contact .
If the bearing surfaces are stiff a drop of light machine oil should suffice , but those big ceramic wafers often require lots of force to move , so a big wide knob with grub screw fixing is advised .
Im new to sonic cleaning ,but apparently it can cause damage if inappropriately used , err on the cautious side and run the tank in short bursts until the desired effect is obtained . I've used all kinds of solvents in sealed jars inside the water bath ,that way the bath stays nice and clean and you minimise the amount of solvent required for very small jobs .

Latest posts

Back