Capacitors in parallel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies everyone, very informing although some of it was over my head still!

The quality of the electrolytics counts.

The electrolytic-bypass-polyester-caps in the audio path of the GSSL are there because I unknowingly went through a batch of very bad quality electrolytics (in the early 90'es, before counterfeiting was common and expected), and subjective sound quality clearly improved with the paralleling. Since then it became a habit.

In some positions, like for the cathode bypass cap in tube circuits, I still use such parallels.

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
The quality of the electrolytics counts.
Electrolytic capacitors have evolved over the decades, generally for the better.

Most of the development in general purpose electrolytic caps was to make them the same but smaller/cheaper.  Another direction of technology development effort made them lower impedance (less ESR/ESL) for use in switching PS circuits. 

All pretty well defined on data sheets.
The electrolytic-bypass-polyester-caps in the audio path of the GSSL are there because I unknowingly went through a batch of very bad quality electrolytics (in the early 90'es, before counterfeiting was common and expected), and subjective sound quality clearly improved with the paralleling. Since then it became a habit.
You don't change the recipe if you are already making good biscuits...  8)
In some positions, like for the cathode bypass cap in tube circuits, I still use such parallels.

Jakob E.
It is still good practice to use smaller HF caps (ceramic?) in parallel to bypass PS rails.

JR

Back