Maselec MLA-4 Clone?!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoplex

Hi folks,

there are all kinds of Sontec/GML Mastering EQ clones, DIY Mastering consoles and Bus/Mastering-grade compressors out there.
However what I can't seem to find is any multiband mastering-compressor. Something like the Maselec MLA-4 or MLA-3 in particular. I wonder why?! When I take a look inside its guts, it doesn't look too complicated and complex. I am aware that this appearances might be deceiving..
So, let's discuss it.. maybe I've overseen something. Maybe even any of you great engineers is already on in?
I would love to see a Maselec MLA-4 clone :)

Attachments

• mla4_3.jpg
    mla4_3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 127
echoplex said:
Hi folks,

there are all kinds of Sontec/GML Mastering EQ clones, DIY Mastering consoles and Bus/Mastering-grade compressors out there.
However what I can't seem to find is any multiband mastering-compressor. Something like the Maselec MLA-4 or MLA-3 in particular. I wonder why?! When I take a look inside its guts, it doesn't look too complicated and complex. I am aware that this appearances might be deceiving..
So, let's discuss it.. maybe I've overseen something. Maybe even any of you great engineers is already on in?
I would love to see a Maselec MLA-4 clone :)

Because it's a Maselec. That's their patented work which means property right. You can always try it yourself and clone one but first you would need the schematics (i don't think they're just floating around) put aside that this could potentially lead to some legal troubles.

There already are discussions about creating multiband compressors from scratch, that sounded difficult though.
There are some other analog multiband compressors, e.g. http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?t=763

PS: If you wait long enough, one day probably a (more or less working) clone appears on puru***s website. He's already selling the bax eq so..

iampoor1 said:
Probably because its boutique and currently in production.  ;)

Sure mate, but Maselec didn't invented multiband compressors ;-)
And even your argument.. CAPI is cloning API and they are still in production and there's several other clones which are still in production.

weiss said:
PS: If you wait long enough, one day probably a (more or less working) clone appears on puru***s website. He's already selling the bax eq so..

Ah yeah let's see.. I am having second thought buying something from Tat but let's see.
If he ever comes up with a decent multiband compressor, I might be tempted

echoplex said:
Ah yeah let's see.. I am having second thought buying something from Tat but let's see.
If he ever comes up with a decent multiband compressor, I might be tempted

yeah wasn't serious though

Back