Capsule ID?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilan

So my story goes like this:
A couple of years ago I bought a Beyerdynamic M260N mic on Ebay for very cheap price.
The mic was working but doesn't sounds good at all so I put it on the shelf for a while.A couple of days ago I borrowed a new M260.80 mic from a friend to make a comparison between the two M206 mics.
My friend's mic sounds wonderful while my mic sounds pretty bad.
So I opened my mic to see what's going on and for my surprise I didn't found any ribbon motor / aribbon transformer inside the mic chassis but this dynamic capsule in very bad condition.
w7e7ba.jpg

15cbihj.jpg

1zxt69y.jpg

The glue connecting diaphragm to the capsule and the glue connecting the voice coil to the diaphragm has dried and became very shaky.
Does anyone recognize this capsule?
I'm wondering if I should try to repair it or it won't be worth the effort?

smilan said:
So my story goes like this:
A couple of years ago I bought a Beyerdynamic M260N mic on Ebay for very cheap price.
No wonder!  :(

Does anyone recognize this capsule?
I don't, it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen.

I'm wondering if I should try to repair it or it won't be worth the effort?
No. Even if you managed to return it to its original state it would not be good. Dynamic elements are very difficult to repair, cause they are not designed to be rebuilt, and even if they were, they would require specific jigs and tools.
Check AliBaba, they have many types of dynamic capsules that are quite good and inexpensive. It won't make the best mic in the world, but it'll be usable. Now it won't be a ribbon mic... :(

Back