Who makes half decent power amps these days?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cyrano said:
Funny.  :)

I just ordered that Behringer for an art project as it's the cheapest decent 4-channel amp I could find. It will be driving some small KEF bookshelf speakers, so I don't need/want kilowatt power.

The fan is really noisy. I'll probably be replacing it with a 24V Papst one and reversing airflow so it blows out the back. Might look into including a filter too.
I have done some work in the general area (one patent related to amp heat sink design  6,515,859 Roberts ,  et al. February 4, 2003), and advise caution about reversing forced air cooling direction.

Changing direction of air flow can dramatically degrade effectiveness of cooling. When blowing air, you have a pretty good idea of where it will go. When pulling air the flow is more diffuse. Of course you can design it to work either way, but generally the two designs are quite different. 

JR

PS: I have no idea what Behringer is doing inside, and little motivation to find out. The modern class D chip sets are quite good, so using the amp as designed should be OK.

cyrano said:
The fan is really noisy. I'll probably be replacing it with a 24V Papst one and reversing airflow so it blows out the back. Might look into including a filter too.
Is it a large fan or one of those noisy little 40mm jobs and do you think the noise is the fan its-self or air movement noise?
Be interested to know!
thanks.

I have my trusty Pyle  power amp from around late 90s ...  cheap as chips, but plenty powerful, quiet (electrically) and with a surprisingly 'serviceable'  interior.

Measured the performance, up to the limits of my 'dummy load' power rating and it was reasonably good in terms of basic measures.

Not a bad unit, the P2000 or something like that .. XLR and speakon connectors with big VUs that are backlight  *starry eyed* 
  ...  discrete front end, BJT power section nice and spacious  and it does use a fan ... which I changed with a new, quieter one.

If I was doing another, I like the modern Yamaha power amps .. 

[My 'lounge room' room uses Yamaha hifi amp early 90s    and it's been doing it's thing forever  ..  no fan  .. 40Wrms of good power (per channel!)

mrclunk said:
Is it a large fan or one of those noisy little 40mm jobs and do you think the noise is the fan its-self or air movement noise?
Be interested to know!
thanks.

There are two fans, in the center of the case. Reversing airflow isn't possible, or, at least not easy.

I've sent i t back and am waiting for this:

https://www.diyclassd.com/product/ucd34mp/26

A little more DIY, as it comes without a case. But also smaller and without fans.

cyrano said:
There are two fans, in the center of the case. Reversing airflow isn't possible, or, at least not easy.

I've sent i t back and am waiting for this:

https://www.diyclassd.com/product/ucd34mp/26

A little more DIY, as it comes without a case. But also smaller and without fans.
I have that exact amp driving 4 of the 6 speakers in my home theater set up... I like them.

JR

The Behringer wastes some internal space. It's case could've been at least 5 cm (2") shorter.

I have decided to build a mini rack, with a depth of 20 cm (8"), so the Hypex fits in nicely.

Maybe it sounds better? It's silent, without a fan, in any case. I didn't feel like modifying the Behri, as that would invalidate warranty.

Back