GroupDIY Clone U87i with pattern problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camarada78

Hello,

I've just finished an U87 clone following the great instructions here, with Microphone parts capsule, styroflex and . Apparently i did everything right, calibrated the FET and so on.

So far the cardiod functions very well, nice sound as expected, but i see no sound change when i change pattern figures. The sound remains around the same with strong signal in front of the mic and lower in the sides and none in the back, even in figure of eight.
Omni also has a lot more signal in front than in the sides or rear.

What should i do?

Thanks

Have a good day

Leandro

That was my first thought upon reading the first post.

Aaaaand that's why that project should perhaps have stated in big red lettering, nice and visibly, that you need a special capsule for it...

But hey, it's better 'cause it's "vintage", because the later version is the spawn of the devil, isn't it? ;D And people get easily sucked in and run into problems like this :(

camarada78 said:
Discovered the problem.

The capsule i've order from Microphone Parts is not with separated backplates. I'm returning it.

yeah, lol. But for the marketing purpose it is important and that is why i bought the Microphone Parts capsule. I'm in contact with them already. its a rare issue but i guess i'm not the lucky guy.

camarada78 said:
yeah, lol. But for the marketing purpose it is important and that is why i bought the Microphone Parts capsule. I'm in contact with them already. its a rare issue but i guess i'm not the lucky guy.
If they won't let you return it and get the double backplate one, get it from WGTcenter. It'll cost you $50 USD or less, but it's the same capsule.

...get it from WGTcenter. It'll cost you $50 USD or less.

The problem with wgtcenter is that they keep making mistake after mistake...
I ordered two double sided K67 capsules ($99.98), but I received two single sided K67 ones.
As a compensation they offered me a refund of $50...
But I am not interested to pay $49.98 for something I didn't order and can not use at the moment.

And unfortunately this is not the first time I didn't receive what I ordered.
Once, I ordered two microphone bodies. They came without the headbaskets.
Their reply: "the headbaskets are out of stock at the moment". (End of discussion.)

Back