Transformer repair & rewing recommendations - UK

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njm

Anyone got any recommendations for places in the UK that do transformer rewinds? Specifically I have a Peerless S217 from a pultec with an intermittent primary winding. Fortunately it's just potted in wax, so easy to take out. But I've spoken to a couple of places that do rewinds and they're hesitant to take it on. Cheers!

Its bolted to the rear of the Pultec case presumably?  removing the core and coil will require damaging the various parts of the transformer housing. Once reassembled it won't have the strength to hang from the mounting screws reliably.  Rewinding the coils and and rehousing the transformer are quite different tasks.

Yes the transformer is in a shell which had two spot welds, I've popped those to get the transformer out. There's enough material there to put a couple of self tapping screws to hold it all together once reassembled. The plan was to get the windings repaired and remount the transformer back in it's original shell, keep it as original as possible

I get you, you are willing to look after mechanical issues.  Another consideration is whether you want it reverse engineered (unwound turn by turn)  or will you send the winder the bare coil formers with the winding instructions.

I know there's a CJ thread somewhere about this transformer, worked out the gauges and turns. But i was thinking just having it reverse engineered and rewound

Latest posts

Back