DIY knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iprovlek

So guys wanna share this with you...

I need it old Siemens sitral knobs for my comp's and eq's, so didn't no what to do! So I found one guy on youtube who show how to make your own knobs!!!

So I start to searching for chemical stuff near by me that I need for make my knobs,and found one store in my town that had chemical component for it....

First need to mold knobs...

Attachments

• 20190719_210129.jpg
    20190719_210129.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 40
Finished knobs for my Siemens...

Left new ones,right originals ones...

New ones need some painting and fine finishing for use....

Attachments

• 20190726_174201.jpg
    20190726_174201.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 109
Those look nice. There's a youtube video of doing that, it's in a knob thread on diyaudio.com. I posted my own openscad file that I made of a larger Raytheon knob. For some reason I really like the Raytheon style knobs.

About 60eur!

But you can use it for few molds and cast new ones....

Mold last for 2 years,and if it is kept with care can last more than 2 years!

When molding it is better to use the more original knobs you have....

benb said:
Those look nice. There's a youtube video of doing that, it's in a knob thread on diyaudio.com. I posted my own openscad file that I made of a larger Raytheon knob. For some reason I really like the Raytheon style knobs.

Yes Benb that video totally inspired me...."Diy Raytheon style knobs".

Yesterday I did another batch...need more

They turned out better than first time, need a little patience when doing it!

Attachments

• 20190727_134000.jpg
    20190727_134000.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 90
Nice job!

I’ve read that you can get coloring agents for polyester resin casting. Seems like adding the black coloring to the liquid resin would be a more permanent solution for coloring the knobs. Also seems at least a little less time consuming.

Have you tried that before? Are there hidden problems with it (other than having to be careful during stirring to keep air bubbles from forming)?

Latest posts

Back