APUTIS M49 & U47 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
granger.frederic said:
I don't know what's going on with Aputis orders, but all i can say is that his bodies are top-notch.
i've just finished one M49b clone for one of my customer, the built quality is stellar.
(heisermann capsule, moby xformer)

So thrilled you got yours. I'm out 500 euros. From like 5 years ago.

Has anyone built with the 49 parts from Andrew and care to share how the plastic discs are used? Do you stake turrets into the black  disc?
I could not find any thread with build info.

I build mine.
Andrew was always honest to me and I get never in trouble with him.
The black disk is not the turret board.
It’s like to original underneath the board.

I sent him a message a week ago or so. He actually replied.  He said the bodies need the final nickel plating and he doesn't have the money to do it. He said he has no idea when he can get them finished - and that he's taking on all kinds of jobs to try to raise money to finish it.

I suggested he ship the bodies as is, and allow the DIYers to do the final plating. Or ask for more money. He sounded sincere. I think he just got in way over his head. The fact he's delivered some bodies shows it.

I too am out $600 for 3 years now. Let's hope he finds a way to deliver. But don't hold your breath...

Best,

Mike

Yes, at this point, I would like to know how much would it cost more to have it finally done. Did he give you an idea about it ?

Electroless Nickel plating for a prepared microphone body should cost around $100.  This is actually on the high end of the price spectrum so it certainly shouldn’t ever go above that price.

Maybe ask for your bodies and find a plater that specializes in Electroless finishing. 

You will need to ask Aputis on whether the metal used for the body is a Phospher or leaded bronze or just a brass as this will need to be accounted for by the plater to ensure the correct chemical mix and also determines plating speed and time.

The best Electroless platers out tuere are the ones that fnish pistols so when you look around, this will be a good indication of skill level and proficiency.

Hope this helps

Phrazemaster said:
I sent him a message a week ago or so. He actually replied.  He said the bodies need the final nickel plating and he doesn't have the money to do it. He said he has no idea when he can get them finished - and that he's taking on all kinds of jobs to try to raise money to finish it.

I suggested he ship the bodies as is, and allow the DIYers to do the final plating. Or ask for more money. He sounded sincere. I think he just got in way over his head. The fact he's delivered some bodies shows it.

I too am out $600 for 3 years now. Let's hope he finds a way to deliver. But don't hold your breath...

Best,

Mike

mics said:
Electroless Nickel plating for a prepared microphone body should cost around $100.  This is actually on the high end of the price spectrum so it certainly shouldn’t ever go above that price.

Maybe ask for your bodies and find a plater that specializes in Electroless finishing. 

You will need to ask Aputis on whether the metal used for the body is a Phospher or leaded bronze or just a brass as this will need to be accounted for by the plater to ensure the correct chemical mix and also determines plating speed and time.

The best Electroless platers out tuere are the ones that fnish pistols so when you look around, this will be a good indication of skill level and proficiency.

Hope this helps
Thank-you Ben, that is very useful information.

I don't think it will actually help because I don't think he will respond again. He seems to reply very erratically.

In any case, I'll report back here if he does, and maybe I can use your thoughtful info.

Thanks,

Mike

The most later M49 Bodys from Aputis are plated by Gleier Galvanik in Berlin Germany (old Neumann Plater). The Quality is like old Neumann Mics. You can ask for a Price, but the Guys have a looooooong delivery Time and don't speak English.

Best

Yes.
But the waiting time is it worth.
I paid 60€ for a c12 Tube and a M49 yokemount.
And that was the minimal order.
Maybe it was also cheaper.

I also ordered unplated bodies from him.
Got them plated by Pallas GmbH here in Aachen. It cost about 50€...
Here is a picture:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1plmOrezHlWCeTqfsnxL0iXbWTIvhtXx8

The PSU case was also painted by them.
I can't say anything bad about the quality.
I also first wrote a message to Gleier Galvanik but never got a response...

Im waiting on a bottom bell for my M49 from Aputis. Messeged him on IG recently no response. Hopefully he gets back as he as well told me he is still trying to get it all plated

Murdock said:
I also ordered unplated bodies from him.
Got them plated by Pallas GmbH here in Aachen. It cost about 50€...
Here is a picture:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1plmOrezHlWCeTqfsnxL0iXbWTIvhtXx8

The PSU case was also painted by them.
I can't say anything bad about the quality.
I also first wrote a message to Gleier Galvanik but never got a response...
Hey Murdock the body looks fantastic.

It looks like there’s a Tuchel connector on it - I didn’t know Andrew made them with a Tuchel...

Looks nice.  I assume the mic body and grille area is dimension correct to the genuine M49...

Phrazemaster said:
Hey Murdock the body looks fantastic.

It looks like there’s a Tuchel connector on it - I didn’t know Andrew made them with a Tuchel...

I bought the Tuchel connectors myself. And you can specify if you want the cut out for the 8 pin big Tuchel or the 7 pin smaller one.

rmburrow said:
Looks nice.  I assume the mic body and grille area is dimension correct to the genuine M49...

Yes, they are as the original. Only difference I know are the screws. Instead of three setscrews that you Have to screw inside, there are three normal screws you have to remove completely to get the top off...
And inside of the base is a little bit different in height.

Murdock said:
I bought the Tuchel connectors myself. And you can specify if you want the cut out for the 8 pin big Tuchel or the 7 pin smaller one.
Thanks Murdoch!

I don't know how I can get it to happen, since he so seldom even responds. But I appreciate it.

Mike

I sent payment on a u47 body from him on 6-22-15, and finally received a refund on 4/1/16. I almost ordered an m49 from him somewhere in the middle of this timeline, but am so glad I ordered one from tab funkenwerk, as I received that 3 days after paying.
It's too bad so many people got screwed over. It's too easy to communicate and work together. There's lots of great people on here that could have helped him out, but something is clearly wrong with his decisions or ethics.

I'd bet it's his decisions. He has responded to me sporadically over the years, and in the last email he said he wouldn't be surprised if I took legal action.

He seems beleaguered and unable to complete things well. I think he's probably a perfectionist and not a business person, and got in over his head. I believe he has a good heart, or he wouldn't have shipped any bodies at all.

I hope he delivers someday, but that remains a hope.

Mike

For what I red in your answers, it seems a few have got and some havn´t. I learned the question "Why me" is irrelevant . But I can´t see any system in Aputis acting like he does. So it seems to me, having no principal rules led him to desperately follow some kind of "pyramid sales".

@ duantro: here´s a funny question: maybe the refund you got is out of my payment on 16/12/2015 ?

I try to be content with the results some of you got, but that´s cheap happiness. As long as only one out of a thousand didn´t get an equivalent for his/her money, combined with extensive communication, Aputis is no reliable person to do business with.
This thread was thought as a "wailing wall", but keep on praising the quality of the mic bodies.

Manfred.

Hi Manfred, have you tried to call him by phone ?
Maybe it helps.
I’ve to say, I get everything from Andrew and never had any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back