Gold Galvanizing Kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik

Anybody knows where can I find gold galvanizing kits in US? Antique Electonic Supply used to have them for about $40, but now they are discontinued. I need it for galvanizing brass clamps for ribbon mic to prevent oxidation. Any other ideas? AES still has Nickel and Silver kits. Would they work?

Marik,
FWIW I've repaired a few reslos and grampian ribbon mics over the years and they all have silver plated contacts. I think that silver is fine. There are toxicity issues with some nickel salts.
Stewart

I have not used the electro plating products. I get some small things from Micro-Mark and just noticed the stuff there. It seems a pretty straight forward prcoess and not outrageously expensive. May be worth a try to find out just how well it works.

Actually, cyanide is used in gold plating. Both arsenic and cyanide are present in cigarette smoke. Cyanide can be changed into something less harmful by mixing it with household bleach.

Electroplating creates a very thin coating - enough for a superficial coating but not much more than that. There is another process called electroforming which creates a thicker layer.

[quote author="BYacey"]You are correct, thanks for the clarification. The memory is getting foggy...[/quote]
Do you smoke?

Cyanide is used in gold mining as well. In the middle of Borneo is a huge lake of it next to a gold mine. The villagers have health problems as a result, I'm told.

Just a bit more background info.........

"the new use on gold ores of an old mining technology called "heap-leaching," in which chemicals to remove the gold are sprayed on vast open-air piles of ore. First used on a large scale in the 1970s, cyanide heap leach mining allows miners to coax microscopic gold flecks from low-grade ore. Cyanide is now the chemical of choice in the gold industry throughout the world. More than 90 percent of the 2500 tons of annual global gold production is extracted using this chemical.

In a typical heap leach operation, huge quantities of rock are crushed and piled atop clay and plastic liners in huge decks. A sodium cyanide solution is then sprayed onto the pile. As the solution passes through the rock layers, it teases the gold out of the ore where it is collected at the bottom and processed further. Cyanide combines with up to 97% of the gold, including particles of gold that are too small to be seen by the naked eye. As little as 1 ounce of gold can be extracted from 3,000,000 ounces of the low grade ore. Previously this ore may have been thought to be too low grade to extract gold from, but with cyanide, tiny bits of gold can be extracted"

:cool:

Thank you Gentlemen!

I will go with gold--you know, it looks..... like gold.
Any safety tips? Enough that I smoke, so wouldn't be a good idea to get more poisons...

Latest posts

Back