DIY high gain, low noise, transparent(colorless) & fast transients preamp buid

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

producerxtr

Hello guys, as the title suggests, I am looking to make a DIY preamp based on the products that are already available. I want to know where I should start to achieve the type of sound and features that I need.

I want high gain levels with low noise
Transparent sound (without colors)
And I also want a fast transient response, which means that I don't want a slow slew rate that smooths (rounds)  :-\ the transients.

I want to use a DIY build as a starting point and then manipulate it to see where I can go with it and what kind of sounds I can get. I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction so I can know where I can start.  :)

Cheers,

Tom

Well, I think you don’t need to make one, cause the things you want can you archive with a SSL 9000 in my opinion.
I can remember when I build them 3 years ago, that it was really colorless and the noise was low.

TillM said:
Well, I think you don’t need to make one, cause the things you want can you archive with a SSL 9000 in my opinion.
I can remember when I build them 3 years ago, that it was really colorless and the noise was low.

But the whole point is that I am interested in making one.... Any suggestions?

..yes, look up and read the posts here about the SSL 9000 (or "9K") preamp.

Or look at some of the chip-based ones - they're even cleaner and a lot cheaper/easier.

Jakob E.

Hairball Gold ?
DIYRE CP5 without any Colour modules comes to mind too. It's a nice chip-based design like Jakob is suggesting.

These are 500-series format builds though. Don't know if that is compatible with your goals.

gyraf said:
..yes, look up and read the posts here about the SSL 9000 (or "9K") preamp.

Or look at some of the chip-based ones - they're even cleaner and a lot cheaper/easier.

Jakob E.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. I will definitely check it out. Can you name a few of the chip-based ones? I  am not familiar with them.

I think this is a good starting point
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=16909.0

look at the IC-based/Hybrid preamp section. (Which not means, that you can't go with a transformer based preamp)

I think, this could also be a good starting point for you.
http://leonaudio.biz/double.balanced.mic.amp.notes.pdf

Or some stuff from Samuel.
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=20038

I was going through the BOM on PCBGrinder's site and noticed some of the semis are unobtanium, and some of the other parts are not made anymore, but available at very high prices. There's probably a thread here for this build, I guess I can look and see how people solved those problems. It would be crazy cool to have 8 of these in a rack.

+1 for the SSL 9k.  Bucket loads of gain, very noise free &  very transparent.    But I don't find myself using the ones I built because although I can't criticise them, they don't have a mojo like a Neve or API which I use much more often.

Rob Flinn said:
+1 for the SSL 9k.  Bucket loads of gain, very noise free &  very transparent.    But I don't find myself using the ones I built because although I can't criticise them, they don't have a mojo like a Neve or API which I use much more often.

When did you build yours and where did you find those unobtanium semis like the MAT-02H.

Ricardus said:
When did you build yours and where did you find those unobtanium semis like the MAT-02H.
I haven’t been able to find a data sheet for MAT-02H but others have posted on the forum here that LM394 is a suitable replacement

I built them ages ago, when you could still easily get the MAT02.  I think I actually blagged some free samples from analog devices.

The LM394 is actually what was originally used, but they became obsolete & people started using the MAT02 instead as it was still available. 

I think that AD have a replacement sub for the MAT02, but i'm not too sure of the part number.  However it is still possible to get the MAT02,  & the LM394.  quick search found them easily.  They might sound expensive at £4-8 UK each, but they were never exactly cheap in the first place.

Rob Flinn said:
However it is still possible to get the MAT02,  & the LM394.  quick search found them easily.  They might sound expensive at £4-8 UK each, but they were never exactly cheap in the first place.

Could you post those links please? I didn't find any obvious sources.

That price is fine, compared to one of the other components which were in the $30 range, and the circuit needs 3!

Not the SSL9k from pcbgrinder, which was originally designed from Joe Neill.
You just need one Mat02/LM394/Mat12 (all the same).
Just look in the 9k500 thread.
You can also send Frank a mail, he definitely has some Mat02 (look at the 9K500 thread).

Back