Edge Terminated Capsule Disassembly / Tuning

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Might be of some use to someone...

So this is edge terminated capsule from 797 audio. Even though its edge terminated it has closest FR to Neumans k67 I've ever measured. It is cardioid only.

This is the capsule found in Slate VMS ML-1 mic. The circuit is flat, so one can use this capsule in any flat circuit mic as Slate's original.

The other thing I like is it is relatively easy to disassemble, and change spacers to modify response. The membrane is glued to the ring, and absence of center termination makes it easy to take apart non destructively.

Increasing spacer thickness between membrane and backplate tames high end and bass response, brings mids to focus. It lowers the capsule sensitivity, but this can be compensated by rising polarizing voltage. The aluminum spacer I remove in this video is the one I added before, and its about 15micron thick. I have these from some other capsules I disassembled before.

The FR can be seen at the end of the video. Green curve is the capsule with additional aluminum spacer, the other one is stock.

For people who are into ASMR, watch with headphones LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/v=WUZfah9N0YQt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back