Never too late

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

This year I will be 70, but in February I joined a covers band here in France as a bass guitarist!

Admittedly they were desperate, but it has turned out very well and  surprised me how much fun 7 old guys can have playing gigs.  Thank you Mr. Jagger for leading the way.

The down side is that I no longer have time for tube electronics so I am winding up my projects.

This is my second 660 and that shipped this week for Canada.

2h4gx0m.jpg

jr9x8n.jpg

2my9s05.jpg

Since I joined the forum in around 2006 I have learnt an amazing amount from some very smart people and made quite a few friends too.
This has helped me to make  an LA-2D, a Pultec, an SA39B, a fund raiser tube compressor based on a 26C, two V241-76's, two 660's,  and a U73B.  Some Auratones and some blue monitors finished off the list.  They are titled under "from scratch".
I hope these projects will inspire others to continue with tube electronics, this place is a gold mine of info.

Thank you to all of you guys who answered my questions and to the hundreds of others that have given me support and encouragement, you will never know how important that was. 

My wife is not a well woman and I can't care for her and build gear as well, but I can spare the time to get to practice and gigs so all is not lost.

Best
DaveP

More power to you Dave!   

Bass is awesome - I especially like the hofner president bass [semi acoustic, spruce top],  the Stuart Sutcliffe model. 

I have been a bass player in my time,  and it was very satisfying  ...  with some 'limiting' in the chain and a Bassman 50 silverface  ...

.  looking for a  'Duck Dunn'  sound    [the bass guy from later Booker T and the MGs] which is prolly my fav.

Also I hope the best for your wife, may she one day be her young self again  :) as may we all.

DaveP said:
how much fun 7 old guys can have playing gigs. 
Seven! Not easy to find gigs, I would think. I mean correctly paid...

My wife is not a well woman
Wish her well.

I can spare the time to get to practice and gigs so all is not lost.
Making music is a formidable derivative.

Bass is awesome - I especially like the hofner president bass [semi acoustic, spruce top],  the Stuart Sutcliffe model. 

I have been a bass player in my time,  and it was very satisfying  ...  with some 'limiting' in the chain and a Bassman 50 silverface  ...

.  looking for a  'Duck Dunn'  sound    [the bass guy from later Booker T and the MGs] which is prolly my fav.
Yes it is awesome Alex my friend, I am lucky to have a great French drummer who makes it so much easier to lock in with him.

I have played a Hofner President with black nylon covered strings, it was the closest sound to a double bass I've ever heard, a great bass!

I started off this year, with a jazz bass but it was too heavy for me standing for long sets, so I switched to a Hofner violin bass which is half the weight.  The tone is great.  James Jamerson  was the guy who got me interested in bass back in the day,  Duck Dunn has amazing technique, so smooth and proof that less is more.  Sobering that he died at the age I am now! :(

I made my own cabinet which is the same size and dimensions as a Vox Foundation Bass, it has a single 300W 18" speaker which has the same cone area as 4x10" speakers.  I don't need too much top end.  I use an Ashdown 300W head with that which it has some nice eq controls to level out the volume of individual strings and make it nice and punchy.

Great to hear from you

DaveP

how much fun 7 old guys can have playing gigs.
Seven! Not easy to find gigs, I would think. I mean correctly paid...
French drummer, French Keyboard player, the rest are English vocalist, backing vocalist/harmonica player, Rhythm, Lead and Bass.

Fortunately, we don't need the money and working every weekend is enough, but you are right, it would be harder to make a living with seven.

DaveP

Best to you Dave, amazing journey, on the upside not building gear = more money for other things...

I love this place but it is a black hole for spending discretionary and non-discretionary funds...

You're one of the good ones here...have fun...we only get one lifetime around this blue rock (as far as measurable data seems to indicate)...it should be a fun ride...

(I am not seeing any pics of the clean build but then again my coffee has not fully activated my brain)

Edit, I now see pics after posting this...internot is a strange beast.

So far since joining this place years ago, I have built 3-1176's , 2-GSSL's, 2-REDD.47, 2- Green Pre's, 1-Neve 1273, 1-Troodent, 1-API, rebuilt a Soundcraft 200b, (now I am going through the Amerimex StudioMixerII-which I love!), 1-Great River MP1...

I've learned how to build power supplies and my electronics education has filled my place with all kinds of toys, all because of thsi place...

P.S. Have you ever tried the Q-tuners on a bass? I put a set in an older cheap Ibanez (I don't play much bass, guitarist mainly) and it brought it to life in a way that is frankly unreal for such a cheap bass...

Here: Q-tuners

So far since joining this place years ago, I have built 3-1176's , 2-GSSL's, 2-REDD.47, 2- Green Pre's, 1-Neve 1273, 1-Troodent, 1-API, rebuilt a Soundcraft 200b, (now I am going through the Amerimex StudioMixerII-which I love!), 1-Great River MP1...
There you go, proof if needed of the amazing talent in this place, thank you for your kind comments.

I have not tried Q tuners but thanks for the tip.

I'm not sure how long these pics will be around, Tinypics is merging with Photobucket so it wouldn't surprise me if everything I've posted suddenly disappears soon.

Thanks to everyone for their best wishes for my wife, she is showing many of the signs for MS at the moment and we will have to get that checked out very soon.

All the best
DaveP

DaveP said:
There you go, proof if needed of the amazing talent in this place, thank you for your kind comments.

I have not tried Q tuners but thanks for the tip.

I'm not sure how long these pics will be around, Tinypics is merging with Photobucket so it wouldn't surprise me if everything I've posted suddenly disappears soon.

Thanks to everyone for their best wishes for my wife, she is showing many of the signs for MS at the moment and we will have to get that checked out very soon.

All the best
DaveP

I hesitate to offer advice on medical things since I am not a doctor and really don't like playing one...

But I have seen some serious changes in my health and the health of my family by following the advice of P.D. Mangan, todays email might be of some consideration:

"I’ve written a bunch of times about the relation between diet and mental health.

Also, about the importance of insulin resistance to health.

Here’s a case that combines both.

A 65-year-old woman who had a 26-year history of both type 2 diabetes and major depression was put on a ketogenic – very low carbohydrate – diet.

Her doctors also prescribed high-intensity interval training, as well as psychotherapy.

After 12 weeks:

Her HgbA1c normalized, so she was no longer diabetic
Her triglyceride/HDL ratio dropped 75%
Her marker for depression normalized.
All that from diet and exercise. Note that the triglyceride/HDL ratio is the most important risk marker for cardiovascular disease, and it greatly improved.

She went from mentally and physically ill to mentally and physically healthy.

Good thing she found the right doctors. Others would have just had her on drugs.

Insulin resistance is related to depression.[ii]

Insulin resistance is a pro-inflammatory condition, and depression is as well.

Inflammation is the body’s defense reaction against potentially harmful invaders.

In this case, the invaders could be the components of a diet that humans aren’t meant to eat.

It’s no wonder that rates of depression have risen. Most everyone eats a diet that isn’t healthy.

As many as half of adult Americans have metabolic syndrome, or pre-diabetes, so they could be on their way to depression.

The fact is, the chemical imbalance theory of depression has little going for it.

People, and doctors, are likely looking in the wrong places.

From this case report, you can see that the lifestyle factors of diet and exercise affect mental as well as physical well-being.

The Romans used to say, “A sound mind in a healthy body”, and it looks like things haven’t changed.

High levels of blood glucose (sugar) can be toxic to neurons, the cells of the brain.[iii]

If your brain isn’t functioning well due to toxic levels of glucose, brought on by a high-carb diet and insulin resistance, it’s not hard to see how you could become depressed.

High blood glucose can also cause mitochondrial dysfunction.[iv]

Mitochondria are the “powerhouses of the cell”. If they’re not working properly, the cells containing those powerhouses don’t work properly either.

The modern diet has many aspects that look like they could lead to depression. Not just high carbs leading to insulin resistance, but high omega-6 fatty acids (from seed oils), and low omega-3. High sugar too.

Add in the fact that we don’t get adequate exposure to sun and natural light, and our circadian rhythms are disrupted by artificial light and computer screens.

The diet plan I advocate has zero pro-inflammatory components. Add in resistance training and you’re golden."

Most of his stuff is very well researched and goes against the grain of a lot modern medical practices because...well...modern medicine is in bed with a few other less than savory characters in many places.

I will pray for your wife as well...prayer never hurts and sometimes helps create coincidences for science to point to.

Link: PD Mangan

iomegaman said:
I hesitate to offer advice on medical things since I am not a doctor and really don't like playing one...

But I have seen some serious changes in my health and the health of my family by following the advice of P.D. Mangan, todays email might be of some consideration:

"I’ve written a bunch of times about the relation between diet and mental health.

Also, about the importance of insulin resistance to health.

Here’s a case that combines both.

A 65-year-old woman who had a 26-year history of both type 2 diabetes and major depression was put on a ketogenic – very low carbohydrate – diet.

Type II diabetes is AKA "metabolic syndrome" and caused by crappy high sugar diet, and lack of exercise, causing increasing insulin resistance in muscles. Uncontrolled high blood sugar causes other related organ damage and health problems. 

MS is Muscular Dystrophy, not Metabolic Syndrome...  I would advise caution about web advice targeting magical solutions for everything (Rogue Health and fitness to fight aging. ) You might as well search for the "fountain of youth". )

Type II diabetes is well known to respond positively to healthy diet and moderate exercise. Exercise can rehabilitate the muscular insulin response to blood sugar, if not too far gone.

Good luck and I hope your wife feels better.

JR
Her doctors also prescribed high-intensity interval training, as well as psychotherapy.

After 12 weeks:

Her HgbA1c normalized, so she was no longer diabetic
Her triglyceride/HDL ratio dropped 75%
Her marker for depression normalized.
All that from diet and exercise. Note that the triglyceride/HDL ratio is the most important risk marker for cardiovascular disease, and it greatly improved.

She went from mentally and physically ill to mentally and physically healthy.

Good thing she found the right doctors. Others would have just had her on drugs.

Insulin resistance is related to depression.[ii]

Insulin resistance is a pro-inflammatory condition, and depression is as well.

Inflammation is the body’s defense reaction against potentially harmful invaders.

In this case, the invaders could be the components of a diet that humans aren’t meant to eat.

It’s no wonder that rates of depression have risen. Most everyone eats a diet that isn’t healthy.

As many as half of adult Americans have metabolic syndrome, or pre-diabetes, so they could be on their way to depression.

The fact is, the chemical imbalance theory of depression has little going for it.

People, and doctors, are likely looking in the wrong places.

From this case report, you can see that the lifestyle factors of diet and exercise affect mental as well as physical well-being.

The Romans used to say, “A sound mind in a healthy body”, and it looks like things haven’t changed.

High levels of blood glucose (sugar) can be toxic to neurons, the cells of the brain.[iii]

If your brain isn’t functioning well due to toxic levels of glucose, brought on by a high-carb diet and insulin resistance, it’s not hard to see how you could become depressed.

High blood glucose can also cause mitochondrial dysfunction.[iv]

Mitochondria are the “powerhouses of the cell”. If they’re not working properly, the cells containing those powerhouses don’t work properly either.

The modern diet has many aspects that look like they could lead to depression. Not just high carbs leading to insulin resistance, but high omega-6 fatty acids (from seed oils), and low omega-3. High sugar too.

Add in the fact that we don’t get adequate exposure to sun and natural light, and our circadian rhythms are disrupted by artificial light and computer screens.

The diet plan I advocate has zero pro-inflammatory components. Add in resistance training and you’re golden."
Most of his stuff is very well researched and goes against the grain of a lot modern medical practices because...well...modern medicine is in bed with a few other less than savory characters in many places.

I will pray for your wife as well...prayer never hurts and sometimes helps create coincidences for science to point to.

Link: PD Mangan

Yes John, I knew what MS he was talking about, thats why I included the hesitant advice label...

There is a lot of stuff that seems like fads that is actually old wisdom being relearned...physical exercise and proper diet are not "Rogue health and fitness to fight aging"...they are more like returning to things evolution hs=as proven to be optimized for humans...

My own experience with exercise and diet change has seen me reverse stage 3 kidney failure in my own body, which my doctor told me was impossible...I have moved my kidney function BACK to a healthier position dumbfounding the SW Kidney Institute and my physician, by simply changing my diet, lifting weights once a week and riding a bike a few times a week...the point of posting the link was to encourage exploration.

I am not interested in fads or extreme solutions, I was just offering something in way of alternative thinking and prayer...everyone is free to discard any advice offered up and as usual your own mileage may (and probably should) vary.

iomegaman said:
Yes John, I knew what MS he was talking about, thats why I included the hesitant advice label...

There is a lot of stuff that seems like fads that is actually old wisdom being relearned...physical exercise and proper diet are not "Rogue health and fitness to fight aging"...they are more like returning to things evolution hs=as proven to be optimized for humans...
I lifted that verbiage from their website, so it is how they describe themselves.

I have long advocated healthy diet and exercise...  We are probably more like minded than it appears, but there are many charlatans on the WWW working overtime to separate fools from their money... 

I have no idea where Rouge falls on that spectrum. 

Be cautious of any health advice on the WWW, including mine.  ::)

JR

My own experience with exercise and diet change has seen me reverse stage 3 kidney failure in my own body, which my doctor told me was impossible...I have moved my kidney function BACK to a healthier position dumbfounding the SW Kidney Institute and my physician, by simply changing my diet, lifting weights once a week and riding a bike a few times a week...the point of posting the link was to encourage exploration.

I am not interested in fads or extreme solutions, I was just offering something in way of alternative thinking and prayer...everyone is free to discard any advice offered up and as usual your own mileage may (and probably should) vary.

I read this post a while back but didnt really know how to respond ,

If you have the dedication to learn and produce electronics of that standard I think you can punch out four on the floor bass lines with a bit of practice , no worries at all .

I'd take a large dose of empirical, word of mouth evidence before the advice of medics any day ,
a biased , instutionalised and self serving merry-go-round is all they are .

Its not a bad trade off , less solitary man cave electronics for more Septgenarian French 'trumpty trump' music  ;D

Tubetec said:
I read this post a while back but didnt really know how to respond ,

If you have the dedication to learn and produce electronics of that standard I think you can punch out four on the floor bass lines with a bit of practice , no worries at all .

I'd take a large dose of empirical, word of mouth evidence before the advice of medics any day ,
a biased , instutionalised and self serving merry-go-round is all they are .
Empirical word of mouth, or anecdotal here-say?

I am very critical of the modern practice of medicine. IMO they are still groping around in the dark about many diseases, BUT that does not mean wankers on the WWW know better...
Its not a bad trade off , less solitary man cave electronics for more Septgenarian French 'trumpty trump' music  ;D
Pass.... have a good weekend...

JR

Dave - the sheer genius you display in technical execution, metalwork, and thoroughness is awe-inspiring. Your projects have inspired me, and will inspire generations of DIYers to come.

Thank you for all you’ve given, and for who you are. We’re all the better for knowing you!

I’ll pray for you and your wife.

Blessings for many, many more happy years together and much joy in music making.

Mike

I am just a year younger than you, Dave, but I was lucky enough to retire at the age of 50. Soon after I met Bob who is ten years older and who used to gig up and down the coast of Norfolk in the 60s, 70s and 80s. After he retired he started writing songs and, as we were neighbours, I recorded them. We have recorded 15 albums over 15 years and only stopped last year when I had to choose between building tube mixers or recording. So what did Bob do next? At 78 he has started gigging again. His first was a couple of weeks ago on the platform of Sheringham Station as the steam trains came and went. He had a great time and sold a lot of CDs (I just finished burning him another 100). So you are absolutely right - it is never too late. I say go for it.

Cheers

Ian

Its not a bad trade off , less solitary man cave electronics for more Septgenarian French 'trumpty trump' music
You may be right about the man cave, but the music is not French, much more Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk woman, Roadhouse Blues.  We may even do a bit of U2 for the loikes a youse fellahs ;)

DaveP

Back