Never too late

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds great Dave , 
I think a well managed and well executed rock band can actually make you feel  younger again .

I just recently found out a musician friend of mine died 9 months ago , young lad only made it to 31 .As a way of illustrating  my point, I tell a little of his story .

I had known the lad around ten years ,around 7 years ago he went through a minor troublesome period in his life , thats when the medications started and things started to go downhill very quickly indeed . Before long he was picking up shopping bags of different pills from the chemist weekly ,in the space of six months he went from being happy go lucky kid ,with not a care in the world to someone who was barely functional , each time there was a side effect or reaction to the meds they were  changed for something else , or another thing was added to the mix . I can only surmise that  life had become such burden on him and his family he decided to end it all , living his life as a shadow of his former self just wasnt worth it anymore .
He wasnt the first person Ive seen medicated out of existance ,and he probably wont be the last either .
For my buddy Paul ,it is  too late now , had the medics actually ensured he was getting appropriate counciling and not battered his brain with dope to the point he could no longer find the words to express himself, he could well still be alive . Ive seen this exact same situation mirrored with many of my friends over the years , and Ive reached my conclusions ,not from what I read on the internet , but first hand ,from real life experiences . 

When I was a kid in the 50's, the Doctor had time to listen and would even do house calls.  Now there is 10 minutes to decide which pill to prescribe and off you go.

My wife was prescribed anti-depressants 25 years ago as a migraine preventative, last year they stopped working and went into reverse, she had a nervous breakdown and had to spend two weeks in a mental hospital to sort out the mess she was in.

I found out from the Doctor there, that long-term use of anti-depressants desensitizes the neurons that they work on, so they have to give you something else which affects alternative neurons.  She has put on two stones, can't walk in a straight line and has trouble remembering what day it is, she is 63.  Thank You Big Pharma :(

DaveP

Ive seen the exact same thing happen here a lot with antidepressants , long term usage leads to addiction , not something many GP's are ready to admit either.  Ive also seen  the massive weight gain  in many who were otherwise skinny as a lat their whole life, unfortunately as the body malfunctions, self image also takes a battering and a stall can become a nose dive very quickly. You really have to wonder if doctors are properly reporting the side effects to the makers , or even if they did would it make any difference .

I could have gone down this same road myself , only I had the low down balls to tell the doctor where to stick his pills long before they did me damage , 'oh you'll be back in hospital if you dont take your meds ' they'd say .  I got their dirt out of my system , set about councilling myself back to a better state of mind and never looked back , I know for a fact If Id continued on the pills Id probably be half vegetative at this stage , and probably be suffering  a rake of other complaints . The producer of the pills they tried to give me was subsequently sued in a class action law suit by hundreds of people who ended up diabetic and it was proven the pills were at least partly to blame .

My sincerest sympathies for what you and your wife are going through Dave ,and that also comes with the hope you will find a way through .

I’m sorry to hear about your wife’s health problems Dave. I pray her a speedy recovery and for her best outcome for the both of you. 
I have always admired your work and philosophy on many topics and look forward to what’s happening in your life. 
By the way , your metalwork is exceptional and use of tools like metal break bends and pop rivets .  Such accuracy with drilling templates.  I would love lessons in in technique.  I’ll look more on YouTube.
Enjoy playing in your band.  Getting together with fellow musicians is an honor.  It’s a much needed art form that for me trumps playing alone with your DAW.    It’s nice to hear people communicate a universal Language with music.  The songs choices you describe are the language of a happy time for our generation.   
I went to my 50th reunion this weekend and enjoyed being with people I have not seen in 20 years.  Our conversations were positive and we avoided discussion on divisive topics best left for another time.  It was a very positive experience.    Play on Dave.

DaveP said:
When I was a kid in the 50's, the Doctor had time to listen and would even do house calls.  Now there is 10 minutes to decide which pill to prescribe and off you go.

My wife was prescribed anti-depressants 25 years ago as a migraine preventative, last year they stopped working and went into reverse, she had a nervous breakdown and had to spend two weeks in a mental hospital to sort out the mess she was in.

I found out from the Doctor there, that long-term use of anti-depressants desensitizes the neurons that they work on, so they have to give you something else which affects alternative neurons.  She has put on two stones, can't walk in a straight line and has trouble remembering what day it is, she is 63.  Thank You Big Pharma :(

DaveP
Question everything.... Conventional medicine treats symptoms not root causes.

That is why I am looking for an alternate to my 2x a day naproxen sodium regimen... All advice that I can find advises against chronic internal use of NSAIDs and my doctor has had me on this 2x a day for a few years already.

Sorry to make this about me... Yes we tend to ignore the warnings that come with most medicines as a lesser evil, but over time, the lesser can become major.

Good luck I hope your wife's situation is reversible and the desensitized pathways can be rehabilitated.. As you probably know better than me there are lots of new drugs for migraine, I am not familiar with anti-depressants being used for that, but they are probably over prescribed for just about everything.

JR

[edit- to follow up I am several days into using Diclofenac Sodium, a topical NSAID gel rubbed onto outside of my knee... Already down to one naproxen internally a day, and by end of week should be down to zero NSAIDs internally /edit]

Hi Dave,
If you pop back and read this, I hope your wife is doing better and you are having fun in the band. 
You will have been missed here no matter how long a time it's been, I've really enjoyed catching up on your past adventures in DIY, legendary stuff ☺️
I wish I'd been around and gotten to know you,
Best wishes, take care of yourselves...

Latest posts

Back