Electronic Components or Surplus around Connecticut

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountCyanide

GDIY Supporter
Alright, now that I’ve moved out here - I’m missing the fact that I can always just head over to All Electronics or Apex Jr to pick up supplies and components on the fly. Any shops around here?

MountCyanide said:
Alright, now that I’ve moved out here - I’m missing the fact that I can always just head over to All Electronics or Apex Jr to pick up supplies and components on the fly. Any shops around here?
My kit company was based in CT for over a decade (last century). I generally purchased components from a commercial distributor (this was before digikey and mouser grew to be all things to all people).

There were Radio Shacks around for quick onsey-twosey basic parts, but there are probably less Rat shacks today.

JR

Contact Chris at the Preservation Sound website.  One of his favorite surplus stores in CT is going (gone?) out of business.  He might have a stockpile or some leads. 

Speaking of leads, Leeds Radio in the Bronx is a great source for vintage parts and tubes.  Not as cheap as surplus, but Richard has a lot of great stuff.

mjrippe said:
Contact Chris at the Preservation Sound website.  One of his favorite surplus stores in CT is going (gone?) out of business.  He might have a stockpile or some leads. 

Speaking of leads, Leeds Radio in the Bronx is a great source for vintage parts and tubes.  Not as cheap as surplus, but Richard has a lot of great stuff.
When I was a kid growing up in NJ in the 1950s, NYC was known as the place to shop for surplus electronics. I forget the exact street # but think it was in the 40s. Probably not a big as it was back when. 

Of course we had Lafayette Radio out in the burbs, long gone now. 

JR

In northern NJ Greenbook Electronics RT22 West North Plainfield was always a cool spot. I haven't been there in a few years but I think I might have to just for kicks because it looks like they've switched things up a lot:

https://www.greenbrookelectronics.com/

squarewave said:
In northern NJ Greenbook Electronics RT22 West North Plainfield was always a cool spot. I haven't been there in a few years but I think I might have to just for kicks because it looks like they've switched things up a lot:

they have a lot of nice looking panel meters.

JohnRoberts said:
My kit company was based in CT for over a decade (last century). I generally purchased components from a commercial distributor (this was before digikey and mouser grew to be all things to all people).

There were Radio Shacks around for quick onsey-twosey basic parts, but there are probably less Rat shacks today.

JR
Yes it's neat to see that a lot of audio equipment makers like you and other classics came from this area back then.
My iphone told me that there was a rat shack a few blocks away from my place but when I got there, of course, there was an empty shop with a for lease sign.

mjrippe said:

Yep, I follow him on instagram. He's got a lot of fun stuff.
I'll check out Leeds. Thank you.

squarewave said:

That definitely looks promising.  I'll be checking them out for sure. Thanks for that!

Richard at Leeds is  very knowledgeable about audio. He’s an EE and knows his way around tubes. It’s a fun hang. He suffers no fools though.

Back