Anybody able to mod Chinese MK-012s

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

Anybody able to mod the Chinese MK-012s? I bought a pair and they're quite a bit noisier than I expected. Unfortunately one of them came with a somewhat stripped screw, and my attempts to extract that screw made it worse (bad idea, I know, it was already stripped since my 00 Phillips screwdriver wouldn't fit and turn, and the screws are that size because I could remove the other ones), so I'm probably screwed as far as returns go.

I'm also keeping the mics in a bag with silica packets to see if it's a humidity issue. I think there might just be something in the mic bodies causing the extra noise, since both have it and it's intermittent with one (I only paid $300 USD for the pair, so assuming the capsules are good and it's just the preamp bodies that are bad, I still feel like I got a good deal).

If worse comes to worst I'd even be happy with a new PCB installed. That'd probably be pretty expensive though.

If anyone is capable of doing the former or latter, or just repairing the mics, let me know how much you would charge.

Or maybe I should just buy the updated bodies with the built in pad, assuming the capsules work properly.

Hello, if you still need this done I can do it for you. I’d first assess the mic circuit and see where the noise was coming from if that’s the route you’d like to go, or I could just put a new better quality circuit board in it with some updates/mods as well if you’d like, while also changing out any bad wiring, cleaning up any mess or flux on the board etc.  It won’t cost you a lot at all, I enjoy doing it and this would be a pretty quick job. Contact me if interested, thanks
Kyle
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back