Collins 26U1 Peak Limiter Power Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
voltage doublers do not have very good regulation and they generate more ripple,  that is why you have the two choke filter circuit,

it would seem that you want good regulation for a compressor circuit, witness the stiff supply in the Fairchild 670,

so you would be upgrading the Collins with a full wave of bridge circuit,

a lot of TV sets in the old days used doublers, i do not know why, obviously money would be my first guess, i bet you can use a cheaper transformer, half the secondary turns required, which means you can use bigger wire and keep heat down,  there is a ton of math on doublers in RDH4 relating cap size vs regulation vs voltage vs peak rectifier/avg rectifier current and all sorts of gobbly goop that is only understood by Ham radio geeks and what not,  :D

> a lot of TV sets in the old days used doublers, i do not know why, obviously money would be my first guess,

Most TV doublers were in transformerless TVs. To get reasonable sweep energy with reasonable tubes you need 300V rather than the 120V-150V you get with a simple rectifier on 117VAC lines.

Also the growth of Selenium rectifiers with good current but not so much voltage ability. The doubler is thrifty of diode PIV.

Back