Pwr Transformer for tube amp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

My brother and I are clearing out a storage building from a property we sold.  Found a Radar Transformer with a 5Kva rating at 440, 220, 115 volts.  Wire it in reverse and I figure you would have 440vac at what 10 amps?

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 12
There is a design for a huge 10xKT88 poweramp in Wireless World ,

http://douglas-self.com/ampins/wwarchive/wwarchive.htm#400w

Looks like you'd be in the right ball park HT wise with the transformer you have run with silicon diode rectifier.
You might have enough HT capacity to run a stereo pair  :D
I guess in winter it would give some usefull heat output ,but in summer your probably going to end up with problems unless you have aircon too.

Hey tubetec.  You need a pallet dolly to move this around it’s so heavy.  It would make a good isolation transformer but was thinking about the reverse.  I already have a 20 amp sola constant voltage transformer.  These were common in the 50s 60s for isolating power for a lab to keep off the building neutral for low noise measurements.  I’m going to look at that KT88 amp.  The building has a wood heater.  I probably could just use the EL Macho amp instead.  ;)

The 10 KT88’s uses a 1.2 amp at 700 Vdc.

What a monster.  Never mind the heat and power bill.  Like you say it’s for winter listening.  Well maybe it would make a good boat anchor for mooring

I did spot one time , an Audio Research ,I think it was , Twin Mono Bloc , 16 6550's per box , close on 1kw of tube power p/ch.
was only a few grand , I think it was the equivalent of 2000w of heat output just idleing  ;D
It basically needed  a cooker supply cable per channel from the mains box or you would suffer voltage drops at moments of peak power.

Its been a while since I read the article , he doesnt seem to give much data  on the output transformer wind , probably not difficult too do if you found a suitable pair of cores from scrap though, 

Latest posts

Back