Drip Eq1 version 4. Onboard voltmeter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachansky

Hi I'm currently doing a pair of drip eq1 builds as something of a noob. I have a pretty good handle on this project after many hours of google but I am missing the onboard voltmeter for this project. I'm not sure its even required or just convenient but if anyone knows the P/N or can provide a link to one it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Does anybody know why the on-board voltmeter is necessary?  The two 6.3V test points for the DC heater is where you connect the voltmeter.  Is it really necessary to have a voltmeter mounted on the PCB if you have a multimeter to test and calibrate to 6.3v using the onboard trimmer? 

The reason that I ask is that Drip (Gregory) has a video for calibrating the cheap voltmeters from Amazon, and he uses an external power supply to generate a 6.3v test signal and another multimeter.  Why go through the process of using a power supply and multimeter to calibrate a cheap voltmeter and then use the onboard trimmer to get the 6.3v, trusting the cheap onboard voltmeter when you could just use the more expensive multimeter?

Maybe it’s to keep an eye on a PSU that may drift. I don’t really know why you would otherwise. Greogry like to implement cautionary circuits. For instance, there is a PCB LED on the Dual Sta Level so that you don’t touch the PCB while the its on. It’s not necessary, but useful if you’re doing adjustments while it’s on and potentially forget you left it on?

He switched to the cheaper Voltmeters when he designed the new PSU.2 for his 670v3 because on that one you can add 4 of them and if he had taken the expensive ones from the Mainboard ($50 each) it would burn a big hole in your pocket.
and if the voltage is 0.01v or 0.02v off the reference it makes not a big difference.

And the meters are inside the case and not visible when in service - even if they did serve some purpose how would you know if some drift is occurring?  As has been stated, it's eye candy.

On another note, does anyone know of a shared mouser cart/BOM for the EQ1?

Thanks!

dbonin said:
On another note, does anyone know of a shared mouser cart/BOM for the EQ1?

Thanks!

https://www.digikey.com/short/zm08vm

The initial DigiKey screen may load a page with out of stock parts listed, simply choose to remove all errors (perhaps taking note of the parts so you can research to see what they were) and the full cart should appear.

Back