Fender restoration

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

Hi,

I've come across these 2 Fender heads on sale for $600 each. They seem to sound ok and have both been restored. Any impressions (good or bad) from these pics about the way they've been restored? I know the final judge is going to be my ears but I'd like to hear some opinions about the guts and if it's fine work or a butchery.

Fender Bassman 135
s/n:F090007 0874
year: 1980

Some components have been replaced. New tolex, grill cloth, handle, chassis straps and legs (restored in 2019). Some pots have light noise when moving since they are original.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/eh7chghm/

Fender Pro Reverb
s/n: F105280 1884
Year: 1981

Some components have been replaced. New tolex, grill cloth, handle, chassis straps and legs (restored in 2019). Has new modern knob and jewel light. This unit was originally a combo but has been changed into a head. The seller bought it alredy transformed into head. Sounds beautiful according to him and has the original spring reverb. Some pots have light noise when moving since they are original.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2val0s6uy/

I am in europe and the heads in America, so if I decide to buy any or both of them I would consider replacing the power transformer. Anyone has any experience with this tone wise? I heard that Hammond makes drop-in replacement ones but I don't know if it will change the tone.

The main usage for these units would be studio use.
The seller has been confirmed as honest by someone I know and would accept Paypal.

I would deeply appreciate all input, opinions and advice.
Thanks a lot
Sono

Can't find similar units for comparable prices (including shipping & customs fees, which won't be cheap, i'd suspect) on this side of the pond? :)

Thanks for your reply, but my questions are more about the restoration job. The price is quite cheap actually but will be reconsidered after the extra expenses involved (posting and transformer replacement).
The price now is not the question. It will be if the units are well restored which is why I'm asking for advice.

Thanks for your input anyway :)
Cheers
Sono

In the Bassman - i kinda wonder what those black capacitors are.

https://youtu.be/7VBVSEevXaY?t=2046

I wonder if they even touched the big fat power supply filter caps at all, in the "restoration", or if it was all just cosmetic.

The Pro Reverb looks a bit better - all those orange caps are definitely film caps, so those should definitely be (and stay) good. The electrolytic concern is valid here too, though.

The baseman is a silver face and not like the classic blackface in topology.  The wiring is a rat nest like lots of silver face fenders were / are.  I’ve heard some sound great.  But, It would not be a first choice amp for me. 

The black caps in the bassman look like they could be original to me, I've seen those in there before.  The filter caps have been done at some point.  Nothing looks wildly wrong in either one, and either could need further work at any time, none of it a big deal if the price is right and they play fine currently. 

Latest posts

Back