Cat7 connector and audio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Bought some rather cheap punchdown cat7 connectors, as I was thinking of using them in the console.

Noticed inside the housing there's a mini PCB connecting the 'V' terminals to the RJ45 pads. Traces are VERY thin. I'm going to guess they are 10mil for a total length of about 2 inches. Anything to be worried about?  Of course I'll try them out and see, but sometimes the advice I get saves me lots of time (at your expense, thank you!)
-Boji

cat7.jpg

Trying out some of the trace width calculators, Putting in a random temp of 80 degrees  it appears 10mil can handle it... forgive my ignorance on current requirements and emotional responses to thin traces.  I recall someone saying before that 10mil is okay, I just don't want thin audio too!

trace-width.jpg

Why are you buying "cheap" connectors? Do you want to spend a week tracing faults, as I just did with my telephone connectors?

In a properly designed CAT5+ connector, those PCB traces will be impedance-matched and balanced so they present "no" discontinuity to many-MHz data signals; so they ought to be plenty good for audio.

And as a general thing, an inch of skinny pipe in a 10 foot run is no big deal (as I tell myself to avoid up-sizing my water filter array plumbing).

Why are you buying "cheap" connectors?
Mainly to get acquainted with male punchdown RJ45's. They are cheap relative to other 10gb rated products. I'll likely stick with quality cat6 connectors.

they ought to be plenty good for audio.
Thank you! I'll try a few out just to see how easy it is to use console wire over them.

Latest posts

Back