Passive di with a utc a-11

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Found this at the studio today.

1/4 jacks wire to pin 6 and 8 of the utc.  Pin 5 of the utc wires to xlr pin2, pin 1 of the utc wired to xlr pin 3. Grounds tie together and to the ground pin on the utc.

Going to test it and see how it sounds....

Ricardus said:
Tip goes to which pin?

Also, Jeff over at CAPI just had a transformer made for his new passive DI that is very much like the UTC.

I'll look next time I am at the studio, will be this weekend.  looking at transformer pics, without the unit in front of me the tip would be going to pin 6 on the transformer, and sleeve going to pin 8 .

took some gut shots.
the wiring is as following. on the balanced side there is a male and a female xlr.  Not sure why they did that but anyway. on the unbalanced side there is the typical input and thru jacks. There is also a ground lift rotors  switch which is wired to lift ground on either side or when in the middle have both in and out grounded.

Attachments

• a11 di.pdf
    96.6 KB · Views: 63
Jeff over at capi-gear is doing these now.  I've been trolling the evilbay for some A-11's... just too expensive from what i've seen come up.  Jeff's full kit was the same price as what these guys are asking for the A-11 itself.  Be interested to hear a side by side at some point.

we went to plug in our new Dimarzio DP 138 acoustic guitar pickup into our rack mount direct box with the active Country Hick on one side and the ProCo DB-1 passive on the other side and horror of horrors, somebody had stolen the Jensen 1:10 transformer out of the rack, for reasons that need not be explained.

so we are winding a 1:8  600T + 600 T  #39 : 4800 T + 4800 T #48 with shields in between P and S , going on a Neve core we let you know how this sounds,

Attachments

• db1.JPG
    db1.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 18
CJ said:
we went to plug in our new Dimarzio DP 138 acoustic guitar pickup into our rack mount direct box with the active Country Hick on one side and the ProCo DB-1 passive on the other side and horror of horrors, somebody had stolen the Jensen 1:10 transformer out of the rack, for reasons that need not be explained.

so we are winding a 1:8  600T + 600 T  #39 : 4800 T + 4800 T #48 with shields in between P and S , going on a Neve core we let you know how this sounds,

they stole the Jensen :( Well lets see how the new one do.  ;)

Back