Scaler

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catosalsa

Hi!
I got some electronics test equipment for free. One of them was called Advance Instruments Scaler SC-2. What is this?

See picture!

Attachments

• IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    472.9 KB · Views: 17
The text near that input connector on the bottom left says "G-M Tube", which i'd reckon is most likely "Geiger-Müller tube", which is the main part of ionizing radiation detectors.

Geiger–Müller tube

A guess says that G-M might be Geiger_Muller i.e. it's a radiation detector of some sort.

(Beaten to it!)

This website makes reference to needing a "scaler" .....

"This will depend on the type of Geiger-Müller tube you are using. If you have a self-contained system, then simply get it ready and switch it on. If you are using an older style Geiger-Müller tube that plugs into a separate ratemeter or scaler, you will need to set the voltage on the scaler. Do this by following these steps."

mjrippe said:
Unless you live in Northern Russia... :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek:  Nuclear powered cruise missiles, what could go wrong?

That may be the hyper speed missile Putin was bragging about... I heard that the US researched the ultra high speed approach back in the 50s and declared it impossible or impracticable.

JR

> Scaler SC-2. What is this?

If you have a little radioactivity, the GM tube goes "tic tic  tic". You can count tics per minute.

When you have a LOT of radioactivity the GM tube goes "ttttttttttttttttttttttttt...", you can't count the tics. To get a number, you count by tens and hundreds, a pulse counter, to "scale" the too-rapid tics to a number.

Those gas-tube counters are mildly interesting and can be used in other ways. Can't think of any worth doing today.

The unit you have *seems* to be both a GM tube with power supply and the scaler/counter. As such it "could" be handy for studying radioactivity.

Latest posts

Back