DIY Output Transformer: 100V ELA transformer as base for rewinding session?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
Hi folks,

I want to start winding my own output transformers (ungapped, 4:1, 9,6K to 600R) für a tube pre amp project.
I am absolute beginner and I want to keep the initial cost as low as possible. It is not that easy to find the right iron and bobbins etc. in low quantity and for an affordable price.

Thats why I am thinking about to take a 100V transformer as a base for a rewinding job. You find them (vintage and even new) in all sizes for really low money and I think they got all what I need for my own tx.

That leads to my question. Good or stupid idea? Is the base material (iron, bobbins..) and the basic structure of these 100V tx inferior to dedicated products (e.g. 10k:600R Edcor)? Whats is more important for the quality of a transformer, the iron and the wire or the layout of the windings?

Cheers  8)

I have this one at home and just inspected it. The size would be just right, but the laminations are dipped in varnish , so that wouldn't be too much fun (unless you have the heat gun ready to draw like CJ). And it is completely enclosed so I can't tell you anything about the iron quality.

But I could offer you some EI 54 laminations (one size bigger) in M111 quality plus the appropriate bobbin for less than what the Visaton transformer costs. The question is where to get two sizes of wire in small quantities. Quick calculation says about 3000 turns for the primary side. Do you have some sort of winder with a counter?

volker said:
But I could offer you some EI 54 laminations (one size bigger) in M111 quality plus the appropriate bobbin for less than what the Visaton transformer costs.

Thanks for your information and your offer! I will PM you.

Back