Whoops

Re: Sound Techniques Thread (A Range Amp etc)
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2020, 10:15:38 PM »
These Sound Techniques consoles look really awesome,
is there any chance anyone has the schematic for the mic pre?

Would love to check that out

Also what's the relationship of the "A-Range" name between Sound Techniques consoles and Trident Consoles?

Thank you

pahstah

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2020, 05:39:41 AM »
Cool  :)

OK, the footage of the ST stuff is:

Both The Stones, and The Doors at Elektra on La Cienega Blvd.
Deep Purple at DeLane Lea

Thank you John! Priceless informations!
I thought the Stones footage was from some studio in England but it obviously make more sense for it to be in Hollywood since they were editing the movie for Altamont.
What i know is that in Hollywood there were two consoles at the time, one at Elektra and one at Sunset Sound.

pahstah

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2020, 05:53:05 AM »
The Yardbirds at De Lane Lea

https://youtu.be/_EtbxLhJrnk

Console at 0:39
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:36:10 AM by pahstah »

pahstah

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
John, the description of this video says it is Olympic Sound Studios. It's the same footage of the mixing of Rolling Stones Concert of Altamont, different song. What do you think? could be? Also, in the comment someone says it's Trident...

ok, it's Olympic at the end of the video, at the beginning they are at Trident if the comments are correct

https://youtu.be/Rb0v66_81xU
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:59:19 PM by pahstah »

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2020, 07:05:34 PM »
John, the description of this video says it is Olympic Sound Studios. It's the same footage of the mixing of Rolling Stones Concert of Altamont, different song. What do you think? could be? Also, in the comment someone says it's Trident...

ok, it's Olympic at the end of the video, at the beginning they are at Trident if the comments are correct

https://youtu.be/Rb0v66_81xU

OK yep, I'll go with that.  A friend had mentioned it was possibly Elektra so I  probably jumped the gun earlier. 
Note to self:  Don't let c**ts wind you up

pahstah

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2020, 05:18:51 AM »
https://www.thekeyboard.co.uk/media_photo.html

first row of photos shows Trident studio 1971, it's the same room as in the video of the Stones

pahstah

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2020, 06:02:08 AM »
Studio Sound year 1970, pages 41-42 Trident studio article:

Trident studio had two Sound Techniques control desk, one (20 inputs and 16 outputs) was in the main room, the other (20 input and 8 output) was in the reduction room.

gyraf

..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

pahstah

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2020, 09:51:29 AM »

kpearsall

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2020, 02:18:34 PM »
To answer the question from Whoops at the top of the page:
The two consoles have very little in common. The A-Range name, and they both used the McMurdo Red Range connectors in the rear. (two for the ST, one for Trident)
Completely different amplifier  circuitry, transformers, etc... the ST input is completely unique in it's Impedance and Pads on the input. Both sound incredible.

ruffrecords

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2020, 05:52:07 PM »
That Studio Sound mag brought back some memories. Earlier in the mag is an instalment of David Robinson's all transistor mixer. I actually built a small mixer using some bare PCBs he sold. In 1970 I was off the university and I took it with me and used it on numerous jam sessions.

Four years later I joined Neve and about a year later, if memory serves, Trident announce their first console. I went as a Neve spy to the launch to find out what the competition were up to.

Happy Days,

Cheers

Ian
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 07:26:39 AM by ruffrecords »
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'

Whoops

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »
The two consoles have very little in common. The A-Range name, and they both used the McMurdo Red Range connectors in the rear. (two for the ST, one for Trident)
Completely different amplifier  circuitry, transformers, etc... the ST input is completely unique in it's Impedance and Pads on the input. Both sound incredible.

So it was a situation were Trident Studios had a ST A-Range, and when they did their own Trident console decided to maintain the "A-Range" name?

kpearsall

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2020, 12:03:46 AM »
I can't speak to the thought process behind it, just having worked on both consoles I know the design. They probably thought the McMurdo connectors were high quality (and rightly so) and decided to use them. My understanding is "A-Range" back then was like saying "top of the line", or "best in class". somewhat generic, though that didn't stop the current Trident owners from trademarking the name.

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2020, 10:34:15 AM »
So it was a situation were Trident Studios had a ST A-Range, and when they did their own Trident console decided to maintain the "A-Range" name?

Hi Whoops,
sorry about not being in touch for a couple f weeks, my bad.

According to Geoff Frost -  Trident, after buying their 2 desks from Sound Techniques started requesting to buy parts (mostly transformers) from S.T. and, after a point, Sound Techniques realised Trident were building a desk/desks themselves so sales of parts were halted to Trident and the two companies parted ways.   Trident went on to build their desk with a different design but  kept using (stole?) the "A Range' name.

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2020, 10:38:22 AM »

Cool, so I'm assuming you got those four Sound Techniques modules sorted yes?  Hope Danny was able to help you out and you have a new contact anyway.
Cheers.

kpearsall

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2020, 03:58:10 PM »
yes there were a ton of problems as usual. Had to replace one of the wafers in the Bass EQ switch, one input transformer was broken and needed to be repaired, and then a few bad components on the amp boards, relays, etc... Didn't end up getting anything from Danny. But got it all figured out and they sound fantastic. Just waiting to find two more Ernest Turner Meters (which I may have found) and we got it nailed.

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2020, 05:13:47 PM »
yes there were a ton of problems as usual. Had to replace one of the wafers in the Bass EQ switch, one input transformer was broken and needed to be repaired, and then a few bad components on the amp boards, relays, etc... Didn't end up getting anything from Danny. But got it all figured out and they sound fantastic. Just waiting to find two more Ernest Turner Meters (which I may have found) and we got it nailed.

OK yeah, I doubt those things ever had any kind of service since the day Elektra took the desk out of commission so...   50 years?
Sorry for the detour on the way and that Danny didn't give you anything but, good job on your end getting them sorted.   Yes I agree, they do sound fantastic!

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2020, 05:25:58 PM »
Here's the desk at Elektra that your modules came from.
You need to put some flower stickers on your Ernest Turners! 

Whoops

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2020, 06:12:18 PM »
Thank you so much for both your insights.

Great photo from Electra by the way, love the flowers

hitchhiker

Re: Sound Techniques Thread (A Range Amp etc) New
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2020, 09:49:27 PM »
wind up workin in a gas station........ kinda the advice I took,    I'm sure he would be saying something!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:58:48 PM by hitchhiker »